ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Request schematic for Dacor J Valve

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Does anyone have a diagram or service manual for an old all-metal Dacor 3/4" J-Valve? Looked in the manuals and catalogs section and only saw regulator info. It doesn't look like rocket science but I'm rebuilding one and want to make sure I'm not leaving out any parts. Thanks. Mark
Dacor 1968.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

time2dive
Vintage Diver

Re: Request schematic for Dacor J Valve

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 pm

I have a manual and schematic for a Dacor JV3/4 and J3v Reserve valve. I can scan it and send it if you would like.
Cranky old man, diver, photographer, scarer of children
http://www.kona-hydrostatic-testing.com/

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:38 pm

time2dive wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 pm
I have a manual and schematic for a Dacor JV3/4 and J3v Reserve valve. I can scan it and send it if you would like.
That would be awsome, thanks. My email on the VDH link is good. Mark

Ps. Bryan may want it for the manuals section too.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks to time2dive there is now a Dacor J-valve (all metal) schematic in the Manuals & Catalogs Section. Thank you! :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Well, I got the darn thing apart. Per the schematic all parts are there. Seats look good. Gonna replace the orings and install a new burst disc and it should be good to go. Mark
Dacor J.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Quick question. The bonnet nut oring appears to be a -015 but the one in the valve is thicker resulting is a slightly larger OD (but same ID as 015), What am i missing? Does the thicker oring have a different designation. I used an oring size chart but no cigar. In the pic the upper oring is the one currently in the valve. The bottom one is a 015. Thanks for all input. I ain't no engineer. Mark.
bonnet nut oring.jpg
UPDATE: Answered my own question. Looks like its a 113. Anyone out there have an extra i could buy off you? Otherwise I'll just order a pack of 'em online. Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:35 pm

I ordered a package of 50 #113 O-rings (90 Duro) for $2 so if anyone needs one let me know. Mark.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Ok, for you mechanical engineer types I have a question.  I rebuilt this valve so I could use a pressure guage with my standard yoke DH regs. The original burst disc was flush mounted. The new style burst disc fits but there is not enough room for my socket (that attaches to my torque wrench) to fit around the head of the burst disc. See photo. I know they have crescent-end torque wrenches but I don't feel like buying one just for this one-off use. I can always use a standard crescent wrench and set the in/lb by "feel" but I'd rather at least be in the ballpark. Is there an obvious solution that I'm not seeing? Thanks. Mark

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 am

You can buy a set of crowfoot wrenches for less then $20 and they are handy in many situations. You can even buy just the size you need, but I would buy a set.

That is a tight spot, but the crowfoot wrench should work.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks Luis, I knew there must be a simple solution. Mark

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:56 pm

I should mention that if you are planning on using it as a professional auto mechanic, you should spend the $80+ for a good set. But for the casual use that you need, the set at Home Depot for $15 will work just fine.

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks again Luis. While I have worked on cars before, it is not my forte'. It took me nearly 10 years to rebuild my mid-80's 500SL and that was with lots of outside help and borrowing many tools. Of course my next door neighbor died in the interim so I guess he's not getting his tools back. :shock:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:01 am

Finally finished - and it holds air ! ! !

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Those plugs aren't all that easy to put in place. Good to hear you have it leak free.
If I ever have another one of those to do I may try to modify or make a tool to fit it.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm

antique diver wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 pm
Those plugs aren't all that easy to put in place. Good to hear you have it leak free.
If I ever have another one of those to do I may try to modify or make a tool to fit it.
Bill, the crowfoot wrench attachment to my torque wrench worked pretty well. Still, it was difficult to get a good attachment on the burst disk. Just kind of had to "go by feel" on the last bit of it but it seems to work (fingers crossed). :D

Return to “Tanks and Valves”