DaveMann
Lung Diver
First Name: Dave

Tank Rejected or Not?

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:18 am

I just stripped the paint off of an old US Divers tank and underneath I found this. Looks like it was rejected in May of '75. But on the opposite side of the tank is a hydro date 9 of '75. Does the 9CX75 confirm the rejection on the other side or is it a successful test from another retester. What do you hydro guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Tank Rejected or Not?

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:58 pm

That is very strange, that someone went through the trouble of stamping "reject" on a cylinder. The term “Reject” is not one of the standard terms that can be stamped on a cylinder per the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) or the CGA (Compress Gas Association) documents.

In 1975 the standards were a bit less “standardized” so maybe it was used by some.

There are three categories a cylinder can fall into after a re-qualification test procedure (procedure normally includes visual inspection and hydro testing):

• A cylinder can pass and it is then stamped with the date of the test.

• A cylinder can totally failed a hydro test or the visual inspections. The visual inspection fail criteria is clearly specified in detail in CGA - C6 for steel cylinder (there is a different one for aluminum). If the cylinder totally fails then it needs to be “condemned”. If a cylinder is “condemned”, the only legal markings that can be applied to the cylinder is either stamping the word “condemned” or stamping “XXXXX” over the DOT numbers. All other markings or damage to thread, drilling, etc., has to be approved by the owner. Again, "condemned" means that the cylinder failed in away that cannot be serviced.

• The third possible outcome is that the tank is rejected or fails, but not condemned. This happens if there is rust or other contaminants that can be cleaned, but the cylinder cannot pass until it is serviced. Minor or superficial thread imperfections that can be chased, can also fall under this category. This rejection is only a temporary status if the cylinder can be serviced and should never be marked in a permanent fashion, like stamping.

Again, in 1975 it is hard to tell if they were not just using their own personal interpretation of the codes.

Now-a-days the date will contain a RIN number that identifies the licensed hydro testing facility and it is very easy to find who did the hydro. There is no way to know who might have used the “CX”, 41 years ago.

Technically you can still retest that cylinder for re-qualification since the “REJECT” is not the same as “CONDEMED”, but you may have a hard time finding a facility that will do the test or that will fill it afterwards.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:45 pm

It is possible because of the paint that the shop that did the 9/75 test didn't notice the reject stamp or the owner did his own hydro. I would give getting it hydroed a shot, just deal directly with a hydro shop not through an LDS. As Luis said it was incorrectly stamped if in fact it did fail and if the shop was not knowledge in the proper way to condemn it they may also not have done the hydro correctly.
Captain

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:12 pm

Luis, Captain - thank you for your input and advice. I do have a hydro guy that I can deal with directly and I will get this tank retested.

If you can tell by the pictures - this isn't a galvanized tank is it?

I've been reading past posts about galvanized tanks and failures without pre-testing. I have 5 other steel 72s and I'm wondering - how do you know whether a tank is galvanized? Is it strictly visual?

Thanks again for your help.

Dave

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:31 pm

It doesn't appear to be galvanized.
Captain

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I didn't think it was. I'm guessing a galvanized tank is visually determined by the lighter grey and mottled "textured" look of the tank.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:41 pm

I've had a tank fail and the tester stamps XXXX across the DOT numbers. I took the tank to another tester who passed it and stamped it.
As long as DOT has current record of a successful test - you're good to go - ( have been using the tank and had it filled at many places over the years )

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 pm

luis wrote:
• The third possible outcome is that the tank is rejected or fails, but not condemned. This happens if there is rust or other contaminants that can be cleaned, but the cylinder cannot pass until it is serviced. Minor or superficial thread imperfections that can be chased, can also fall under this category. This rejection is only a temporary status if the cylinder can be serviced and should never be marked in a permanent fashion, like stamping.
I've spoken with my hydro guy. He said the very same thing, Luis. He's on the other coast so I may not get it to him very quickly, but he is aware of it and is going to give it a fair testing.

Dave

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:00 pm

georgeaustin wrote:I've had a tank fail and the tester stamps XXXX across the DOT numbers. I took the tank to another tester who passed it and stamped it.
As long as DOT has current record of a successful test - you're good to go - ( have been using the tank and had it filled at many places over the years )
I'm assuming you disagreed with the first tester's decision which drove you to get it retested, but I sure would have bet against any other tester testing it after it had the dreaded XXXXXs stamped on it.

Dave

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:47 pm

I told him to call me first if it failed as I wanted it back before he stamped it. He didn't but just because he put XXXXXX does not mean I can't have it tested again but I do know personally the second tester so that probably helped- he was surprised the guy put a stamp to it across my DOT numbers

time2dive
Vintage Diver

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:17 pm

If a cylinder fails hydro and is condemned I am required to X out the DOT numbers or stamp CONDEMNED on it. I X out the numbers.....all that tell is show any reasonably intelligent dive shop "Don't fill this cylinder it may be hazardous to your health". I am not allowed to damage the cylinder (drill holes in it or damage the threads) without prior permission from the owner. If a steel cylinder is tested a second time right after failing it will probably pass, the "stretch" has been temporarily been removed (that is the reason for the pretest, to remove some of the expansion). I don't ever stamp Condemned on the cylinder, too much extra work and bondo and paint can hide the CONDEMNED....it is hard to hide all of those Xs. Once a cylinder has failed I stamp the Xs, I have had customers ask me not to stamp the Xs if it fails....they want to sell it to someone else after the failure and let them get stuck with it.
georgeaustin wrote:I told him to call me first if it failed as I wanted it back before he stamped it. He didn't but just because he put XXXXXX does not mean I can't have it tested again but I do know personally the second tester so that probably helped- he was surprised the guy put a stamp to it across my DOT numbers
Cranky old man, diver, photographer, scarer of children
http://www.kona-hydrostatic-testing.com/

Return to “Tanks and Valves”