Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

DIN / Yoke/Sizing/Compatibility discussion

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Post by Nemrod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Maybe we need to move this thread to another thread inside the Modern Era Forum?

This cirumstance is not specific to the Argonaut but to any yoke regulator and may end up confusing people with non-important esoteric details that a lot of us, me included, like to get into but which have nothing specific to do with the Argonaut.

I am interested in learning more about valves, DIN, yokes adapters, the various engineering standards, just not in this thread.

For example, from Divegear Express:

"Does a yoke adapter insert exist for my 300 bar valve? No. An adapter insert does not exist, and even if it were made, we have never seen a yoke clamp long enough to fit over the 300 bar SCUBA valve. There is a yoke-to-din fill adapter device for 300 bar valves, but it is strictly for filling only."

So, I vote to move DIN/Yoke engineering discussions to a new thread in the Modern Era Forum to get this one back on track.

James
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Automan
Lung Diver
First Name: Ian

Re: DIN / Yoke/Sizing/Compatibility discussion

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Just to confirm, I am now in Northern Ireland to do a week of diving and alas the Kraken yoke won't go over the 232 Bar DIN tank valves with what the locals call slugs in them (DIN to A-Clamp converter).

Back at home I have a tank with the old-style yoke-only square valve so I will be able to try it when I get home.

Example showing the problem where the internal width of the yoke is less than the width of the tank valve.
It Wont Go On.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Wow, that is a lot wider than any of the DIN convertible valves we have over here.

Can you take some dimensions using a dial caliper or similar measuring instrument?

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Here are a couple pics of the Kraken yoke with my Dive Rite valves.
It doesn't come close to going over
The valve measures 1.185 wide X .995 deep
A Conshelf yoke will fit
003_crop.jpg
004_crop.jpg
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Is that Dive Rite valve a 230 Bar valve or a modified 300 Bar valve that you mentioned before?
Luis

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:47 pm

it's the 200 bAR

Automan
Lung Diver

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:45 am

When I get home next week I shall measure some and also identify the valve maker and pressure ratings.

Has anyone got a photo of a Kraken with the DIN Conshelf adapter on?

Before I try and get one, I wondered how big / deep it makes the Kraken when attached to a DIN tank.

Many thanks.
luis wrote:Wow, that is a lot wider than any of the DIN convertible valves we have over here.

Can you take some dimensions using a dial caliper or similar measuring instrument?

Thanks

luis
VDH Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:02 am

Automan wrote:When I get home next week I shall measure some and also identify the valve maker and pressure ratings.

Has anyone got a photo of a Kraken with the DIN Conshelf adapter on?

Before I try and get one, I wondered how big / deep it makes the Kraken when attached to a DIN tank.

Many thanks.
luis wrote:Wow, that is a lot wider than any of the DIN convertible valves we have over here.

Thanks
I will try to take some pictures later (maybe this weekend).
Luis

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:20 pm

with yoke
004_crop.jpg
with din
003_crop.jpg
001_crop.jpg
as you can see the din adapter moves the reg out about 1 inch

Automan
Lung Diver

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:33 am

Many thanks for the info and pictures.
2THDIVR wrote:with yoke
004_crop.jpg
with din
003_crop.jpg
001_crop.jpg
as you can see the din adapter moves the reg out about 1 inch

Mistralopitheque
Diver
First Name: Christian

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 am

Hey there,

Received my Kraken yesterday, all joy and wonder.
Seeing the yoke "in vivo" I got nervous instantly though. :?
Moments later my worries were confirmed. It does not fit over ANY of the valves I have (Scubapros, Technisub, Aqualung...). :x

Admitted, the valves I talk about are DIN-INT valves, where you can switch from DIN to INT by inserting a "INT Plug" with a hex.
Even so, my super-tight Spirotechnique Mistral's original yoke fits at least over the Technisub valve (which is a vintage 70s model).
Why wasn't the yoke designed with a little more room, in order to fit modern valves? Wasn't this the whole Kraken idea: a modern, versatile DH-Reg? :shock:

The way I see it, (short of trying to confert to DIN) the only solution is dremeling some material off the Kraken's yoke , to make some room... Given the chunky looks of the yoke , I'd probably still be on the safe side, even with 1 to 2mm taken off...

The Kraken looks awesome and all and I'm sure it breathes better than any other of the 12 DH-Regs I own... but this yoke ... just can't believe it... why o' why... :cry:
OWNER OF Argonaut KRAKEN #14-017

Automan
Lung Diver

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Mistralopitheque wrote:The Kraken looks awesome and all and I'm sure it breathes better than any other of the 12 DH-Regs I own... but this yoke ... just can't believe it... why o' why... :cry:
Indeed, a shame :(

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7167&start=15#p61576

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:52 pm

sorry to tangent this, but I wonder if, with a Freedom Plate (which uses rails, moving the tank outward), it might not be that cumbersome with the DIN fitting which appears to push the regulator 1" closer to your head.....

or even a modern BP as it holds the tank further off your back.....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Mistralopitheque
Diver
First Name: Christian

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Ok... now on the Scubapros I can fit the yoke if I put the yoke first and basically screw in the reg... for the Technisub and Aqualung... no way...
Oh... and on the RAID it works too ^_º

...still weird. I compared the yoke to a modern Titan yoke. Huge difference. .. what's the idea?
OWNER OF Argonaut KRAKEN #14-017

luis
VDH Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:15 pm

We are working on a solution to the yoke issue, but I do not have access to any of these wide European valves. If you have a dial caliper or similar measuring instrument, can you please post the width and depth of the valves you have. Some pictures to see if there is a tapper would also help.

I tried the yoke against every modern DIN / yoke convertible valve I had access to and it works with the ones normally available in the US.

Here is a picture I took with the widest DIN convertible valve that I have access to (or that I have seen, until now):

Below is a copy of the yoke valve standard.

The DIN convertible valves do not meet the standard, so I need some dimensions for the European valves. I need the maximum "A" and "B" dimensions, and any information if it a true rectangle or does it has a tapered back section.

As a temporary fix, you can use the yoke from a Conshelf, AL Titan, or many of the US Divers and Aqua Lung regulators.
Luis

Return to “Tanks and Valves”