macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Re: Tank Identification Help

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:20 pm

kgehring wrote:Decals are for sale on:www.scubamuseum.com
I will try to send pics to Bryan for the store with links.
Thanks Bryan!
Thanks. I'll order some soon!

macado
Master Diver

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Finally got the tanks striped of all the white vinyl and found an USD manifold to rebuild for them.

I've decided the Voit tanks are going to become a set of Aqualung doubles since I couldn't find a Voit 1/2 tapered manifold and already had the Aqualung decals from a previous purchase.

Hoping they pass hydro! Their original hydro date appears to befrom 62 with a plus rating, another hydro (last one) was done 65. Not sure why they would be re-hydroed again after 3 years?

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am

They are going to look great! Now make sure u get an Allan cotton harness for them and u will be set!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:39 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:They are going to look great! Now make sure u get an Allan cotton harness for them and u will be set!
Ditto! 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

macado
Master Diver

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 pm

JES wrote:
1969ivan1 wrote:They are going to look great! Now make sure u get an Allan cotton harness for them and u will be set!
Ditto! 8)
Thanks. I'm definitely getting an Allan harness made up for them once i'm sure they pass hydro. :-)

macado
Master Diver

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 pm

UPDATE: As expected, the Voit tanks passed hydro with no issues.

My USD manifold is rebuild and hopefully not leaking. I just need to re-assemble them, buy some Peanut Kings and an Alan K harness and i'll be in business.

macado
Master Diver

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Argh, so the bad news is that one of the tanks was heavily pitted in the bottom enough that it didn't pass inspection

Which I don;t really understand since it did pass hydro, wouldn't they normally do a visual first?

Good news is I am taking the PSI – Visual Cylinder Inspector course this week at Boston Sea Rovers so I am going to bring the tank in for an example to see what they think.

They showed me the pitting at the dive shop and it does look bad to me however I've not really an expert at all so what I think is bad may actually be good.

Kind of bummed that I won't have a small set of doubles but the other tank is spotless inside so I'll probably keep it for a singles tank.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Who failed them because of pitting was it the shop that hydroed them or the scuba shop. Was the hydro shop and the scuba shop one and the same or separate entities. If they came back from the hydro shop stamped with a new date stamp and the scuba shop failed them on a VIP you just got bamboozled. Any reputable hydro shop would have failed them before even doing the hydro.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:49 pm

captain wrote:If they came back from the hydro shop stamped with a new date stamp and the scuba shop failed them on a VIP you just got bamboozled. Any reputable hydro shop would have failed them before even doing the hydro.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

macado
Master Diver

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 pm

This is why it's a little unclear to me. The dive shop does hydros in-house but at a separate facility.

They came back to the dive shop sporting brand new hydro stamps but during the subsequent re-inspection, one of the tanks failed due to heavy pitting in the bottom.

Which is weird to me, why would they have even been hydro-ed after tumbling if the pitting was that bad to begin with?

In any case, I wasn't charged for the hydro or viz on that particular tank. I do have it in my possession now and I am going to bring it to my PSI course for 2nd evaluation. The pitting does look bad to me but it be honest, I am really not a good judge of this since I dont know the rules.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I will bet that the tanks will get a clean bill of health from your instructor. Please keep us posted.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 am

It is very difficult to clearly determine a pass/ fail for pitting in the bottom of a cylinder.

Just last year I had a lengthy discussion with Dale Fox (your instructor) about different methods to try to get accurate measurements of pits inside tanks, especially in the bottom.

I brought pictures of the bottom of one of my small cylinder (one also out of a set of small doubles) that also has pits. In this situation from a normal VIP I would have condemned it on the spot, but since I have access to ultrasonic measuring equipment (and a trained tech that operates it), we were able to determine how much material was left on the bottom. I am still planning on retiring that tank because there will always be doubt if we actually measure the exact spot of the pits from the outside.

The CGA C-6 requirements have guidance to how to determine pass / fail criteria for pits on steel cylinder, but even that guidance is subject to interpretation.

Measuring the actual depth of a pit on the inside of a cylinder is difficult… in the bottom it is even harder.

I will see you tomorrow after your class. I will also like to take a look at the cylinder.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 am

luis wrote:It is very difficult to clearly determine a pass/ fail for pitting in the bottom of a cylinder.

Measuring the actual depth of a pit on the inside of a cylinder is difficult… in the bottom it is even harder.
What manual method are you using to determine pit depth Luis? I am using the probe with heavy wax on the point and a pit depth gauge.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:37 am

"The dive shop does hydros in-house but at a separate facility."

What does that mean, the shops owns both but one doesn't trust the other to do a proper visual. this sounds screwy. I would ask where this "other" facility is and pay it a visit to determine the connection between the two. Crap like this never fails to amaze me.
Captain

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:49 pm

macado wrote:This is why it's a little unclear to me. The dive shop does hydros in-house but at a separate facility.

They came back to the dive shop sporting brand new hydro stamps but during the subsequent re-inspection, one of the tanks failed due to heavy pitting in the bottom.

Which is weird to me, why would they have even been hydro-ed after tumbling if the pitting was that bad to begin with?

In any case, I wasn't charged for the hydro or viz on that particular tank. I do have it in my possession now and I am going to bring it to my PSI course for 2nd evaluation. The pitting does look bad to me but it be honest, I am really not a good judge of this since I dont know the rules.
Macado,

If it turns out that you can't use your tank, but want to use the manifold for another project, I have a couple Voit 72's I can ship to you. They're in rough shape and need a good cleaning, but they're not pitted at all. Let me know.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Tanks and Valves”