SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Jerry's Green Tank Update...

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:22 am

Jerry's Green Tank Update...
- Couple of years ago SeaHunt Jerry gave me a surplus military oxygen tank that I converted into a Scuba tank. I believe it is the same 48 cu ft tank that is shown and described in various places in the Basic Scuba book... The tank capacities chart and the Scott Lung description. I wanted to leave it in original condition with the green paint, stencil markings, and wire "shatter Proof" wrap. Just to retain authenticity.
- With regard to the Wire Wrap on this Shatter Proof surplus tank, I was wrong and everyone else was right! I have removed the wire wrap from this tank and discovered the beginnings of crevice corrosion forming under the bottom end of the wire wrap... Nothing bad but enough to prove the wrap should be removed.
- It's a steel wire. And after it was wrapped, I think it must have been squeezed or pressed into place. Unwinding it came off as square rather than round wire.
- The photo above is after...
1. The wire was removed.
2. The tank was re-qualified by Hydro-Testing and Visual Inspection.
3. The outside surface was bead blasted to remove surface rust.
4. The outside was cleaned by wiping down with Acetone.
5. The outside was roller painted, two coats, with Galvalite 96% Zinc Paint.

I'm going to let the paint cure for a couple weeks before installing a bushing and a really nice USD J-Valve. After that, I think I'll fit it with the Aqua Lung Bac Pac and stick an AquaLung decal on it.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Re: Jerry's Green Tank Update...

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Eben- PM sent

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Finished!
- For anybody whose interested, I only had the vinyl shoulder straps for the BacPac so I had to make the harness. Could not find a flat nylon replacement for the 1-1/4" webbing. But I was able to get 1-1/4" in yellow cotton webbing and made it out of that.
SurfLung

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:18 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:27 pm
Finished!
- For anybody whose interested, I only had the vinyl shoulder straps for the BacPac so I had to make the harness. Could not find a flat nylon replacement for the 1-1/4" webbing. But I was able to get 1-1/4" in yellow cotton webbing and made it out of that.
That's beautiful Eben! Great job!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Nice Job! The bushing and valve combination sure looks better too.
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Pretty sweet Eben! I'm sure I'll be seeing that next Spring. :D

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Pool Diving Test...
- Rich and I combined our "Multiple Snarks III" pool dive with a wet test of the remodeled "Jerry's Green Tank". You can see I ALMOST got it positioned right... Still rides just a little bit high. But its a comfortable single tank. The round bottom doesn't dig in anywhere. The USD BackPac is a nice neat system... Once you get the turnbuckles figured out so they don't dig into your back.
- This "Single 48" tank is 1800 psi working pressure. Its actually about 53 cf when filled 10% over to 1980 psi. It lasts about an hour in 12-16 ft lake diving use. The reserve valve has been serviced and works well. I didn't go long enough in the pool to use the reserve. But I did it in the lake once and it was at around the 1 hour point in the dive when I ran out of air and pulled the reserve for the last 300 psi.
SurfLung

Return to “Tanks and Valves”