ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

More bent manifold issues

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:07 pm

My luck with manifolds has been dismal lately. When I assemble my Sportsways 38's one side sticks out at an odd angle. Took a closer look at the manifold and it is indeed at an odd angle - see pic
Do I assume correctly that, like the USD J-62, I'd have to undo the solder/weld and remove the whole piece to replace, or is it possible to just remove the brass end? Thoughts? Thanks, again, in advance.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

captain
Plank Owner

Re: More bent manifold issues

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:28 pm

I would assemble the manifold, clamp one end in a vise and attempt to straighten it before I would try to remove the nipple. Unlike the USD that is not a piece you will be able to find a replacement for, other than having one machined.
Captain

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:29 pm

I would assemble the manifold, clamp the center section in a vise and attempt to straighten it before I would try to remove the nipple. Unlike the USD that is not a piece you will be able to find a replacement for, other than having one machined.

An auto body repairman once told me the secret is to figure how and in what direction something got bent then do the reverse.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:55 pm

captain wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:29 pm
I would assemble the manifold, clamp the center section in a vise and attempt to straighten it before I would try to remove the nipple. Unlike the USD that is not a piece you will be able to find a replacement for, other than having one machined.

An auto body repairman once told me the secret is to figure how and in what direction something got bent then do the reverse.
Thanks Tom,

I was fortunate to have a spare SW center section in my parts bin so, for now, I'm just going to use it.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Tanks and Valves”