ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Need advice on how to polish my knob :)

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:34 am

Got my NOS manifold apart. It is pristine inside save for some slight scratches on the brass to brass seal. I really doubt it is going to be a problem leakage-wise as I have installed worse; however, any recommendations on a polishing compound or cloth to use to clean it up? Thanks. Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Need advice on how to polish my knob :)

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Mark,
- I use 0000 fine steel wool to polish the "knob" as well as the socket. After that, I blow out the debris with high pressure air. Then, I wipe it clean with a paper towel moistened with food grade silicone spray lube. This makes a smooth and clean connection that seals easy every time.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:04 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 pm
Hi Mark,
- I use 0000 fine steel wool to polish the "knob" as well as the socket. After that, I blow out the debris with high pressure air. Then, I wipe it clean with a paper towel moistened with food grade silicone spray lube. This makes a smooth and clean connection that seals easy every time.
Thanks Eben!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Whew... I thought this was going a different route....

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 pm

Bryan wrote:

Were you concerned you did have advice to offer, or didn't have advice to offer? just asking. 8)

P.S. That package we discussed is going out in the mail to you tomorrow... Don't just set it on a shelf as there is a surprise inside for you that requires immediate consumption. M

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:43 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bryan wrote:

Were you concerned you did have advice to offer, or didn't have advice to offer? just asking. 8)

P.S. That package we discussed is going out in the mail to you tomorrow... Don't just set it on a shelf as there is a surprise inside for you that requires immediate consumption. M
ImageImage thank you

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Is this a USD 1/2" manifold? I have a leaker on my twin 38s, and have had no end of frustration with filling, refilling, etc. I'l give this a try. You'd think this knob polishing technique would come naturally around a couple of 38s, but some of us are a bit slow figuring things out.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Vancetp wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 pm
Is this a USD 1/2" manifold?
Yes, USD 1/2" npt tapered.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Gadzooks! I was a little reluctant to open the first post of this thread due to M's choice of title. I tried not to even imagine what photos I might be "exposed" to. You just never know what that guy is going to say! :roll:

Since those ends are actually referred to in the gas industry as "Nipples", couldn't we just call Eben's corrective process "Nipple Burnishing"? :?
The older I get the better I was.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:48 pm

That's the same as mine. Only nobody used a monkey wrench on yours..... It wasn't ME!!!!

Vancetp
Master Diver

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:51 pm

antique diver wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 pm
Gadzooks! I was a little reluctant to open the first post of this thread due to M's choice of title. I tried not to even imagine what photos I might be "exposed" to. You just never know what that guy is going to say! :roll:

Since those ends are actually referred to in the gas industry as "Nipples", couldn't we just call Eben's corrective process "Nipple Burnishing"? :?
OK, but let's avoid "nipple tweaking". Some people might misunderstand, and this is a "safe zone", remember?

Return to “Tanks and Valves”