luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Double 27's - Valves down

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:31 am

lakediver wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:21 pm
Beautiful images, is that the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? In regards to the valves down configuration on a scuba set, early Scuba units like the Scott Hydropak, Desco Dolphin and Ted Eldreds Porpoise used this and the more modern AGA Divators likewise. Did the primary use of double hose regulators keep this in the sidelines or even more practically how to store the cylinders?

Also many of Cousteau early rigs had the valves on the bottom for easy access.

SCBA used in firefighting and other applications still have the valves on the bottom.

I am under the opinion that the reason the valves on the top became more popular and the norm is due to the early adoption of the double hose regulator. The simplicity of a single tank with the valve and double hose regulator on the top just became the most popular option by far.

By the time the single hose regulator became popular, the simple single tank with valve on top was the norm.

Valves on the bottom is used by some technical divers in Europe (specifically in England) and it makes a lot more sense since they want easy access to the valves to isolate either cylinder. The setup normally requires some form of frame to stand the kit without landing on the valves.

Nice looking kit. I like the use of the high pressure tubing with the connection for the regulator.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Double 27's - Valves down

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am

lakediver wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:21 pm
Beautiful images, is that the North Rim of the Grand Canyon?
Thanks, photography is another of my too-many passions. :) 1st two pics are Zion National Park, Utah. 2nd two pics are North Rim Grand Canyon. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Tanks and Valves”