SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Strange Voit Swimaster Tanks

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 am

Strange Voit Swimaster Tanks
- My friend Rich inherited a unique aluminum scuba tank from our late good friend Terry Bodine. It's a Voit Swimaster aluminum tank from 1973. The reason its strange is because it is not the usual 80 cf 3000 psi tank. Instead, it is longer and heavier (thicker) and was advertised for use at two different pressures: 2475 psi for 72 cf and 2700 psi for 80 cf.
- In addition, the bottom of this tank is round and requires a boot to stand up (not like common flat bottom AL80s).
- I found the 1973 catalog on this VDH website (thanks Bryan) and here's the page that tells about it.
- The ad copy tells about better bouyancy characteristics and thicker walls than DOT requires. That and the lower pressures make it look like Voit was exercising a little more caution with introducing the new aluminum tanks than other manufacturers.
- Rich's tank is black and we put a nice USD J-Valve on it. It is freshly hydro'd and VIP'd. The Aluminum type is different from the "bad" pre-'89 aluminum so it's hard to tell if it might be subject to SLC (the ID number ends in 71 not 51).
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

kgehring
Master Diver

Re: Strange Voit Swimaster Tanks

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Cant be put in service, Special Permit from DOT for that alloy expired. Cool tank for teaching and history.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

kgehring
Master Diver

Re: Strange Voit Swimaster Tanks

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:45 pm

2700 voit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Return to “Tanks and Valves”