ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

My 38 dilemma

Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:40 pm

I've been trying to assemble a set of roundy-bottom twin 38's for a while now. I picked up a set for $20 at a garage sale but one of the tanks failed hydro (they only have a born date of 1941. :) ). I have a mint NIB USD tapered thread dual manifold and new reducer bushings from McMaster-Carr.

I can either try and find a matching tank to complete the set (my preference) or find a single tapered valve to make a single 38 test bench air supply tank or ......? Not sure what I want to do but I figured if I threw my predicament out into the universe some alien lifeform would respond. :) Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: My 38 dilemma

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:39 pm

I had the same dilemma a couple years ago. Then when I looked to find another 38 to complete my set, Antique Diver offered me a closely matched set of round bottom 38s. So, I got my 38s but still had the single. Happily, I made a single tank out of it and have found it to be one of my most fun combinations for lake diving in the Summer. It is SO lightweight. I put it on with just a swimsuit, mask, fins, and weight belt. Diving 15-25 feet it lasts 30-40 minutes. I know you can dive in the ocean right in front of your house... Try a single 38 and see if you like it! :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:13 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:39 pm
I had the same dilemma a couple years ago. Then when I looked to find another 38 to complete my set, Antique Diver offered me a closely matched set of round bottom 38s. So, I got my 38s but still had the single. Happily, I made a single tank out of it and have found it to be one of my most fun combinations for lake diving in the Summer. It is SO lightweight. I put it on with just a swimsuit, mask, fins, and weight belt. Diving 15-25 feet it lasts 30-40 minutes. I know you can dive in the ocean right in front of your house... Try a single 38 and see if you like it! :)

Hi Eb,

I agree that it would be a fun small tank, but my ocean requires a full wetsuit so by the time I get all suited up I want to have a larger tank(s) on to have a real dive. I'm not the guy who uses the "skin" in skin diver. :) Maybe if I had a pool it would be different for me. Even if I set it up as a test bench tank I still have to incur the the expense of finding and acquiring a single 1/2" NPT valve. Think I'm gonna keep a lookout for a matching tank. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

couv
Master Diver

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Back in the summer, someone on SB had this offered up. I don't know if she was selling or giving away.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... ks.598542/
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”