hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Finding a filter or making one?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm

I was wondering what most folks use for filters that have hydraulic accumulators or odd size filter towers. The inner dimensions of my filter tower housing is 2" x 15 3/4". I was searching Lawrence factor for a filter that would fit inside and all that I found are either 1 3/4 or 2 3/4 inch diameter. I could not find a 2 inch diameter. Is there a sleeve adapter available or is it OK to just wrap the smaller filter with tape or o-rings to get to the correct size? The other option would be to buy felt pads, AC and 13x to build my own but the pre made ones are a good price and easier. Also, how much gap
below the filter should there be for water to condense if the air is entering at the bottom and exiting at the top? Thank you

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Finding a filter or making one?

Thu May 24, 2018 4:11 pm

If you are using a small compressor, say 2 to 5 cfm, I don't see a problem with a 1.75" outside diameter filter cartridge. You should only have about a 1/8" gap between the tower inner wall and the outside of the cartridge. Should be able to engineer something simple that would do the job. For example a 1/8" cross section oring of the right diameter might push into place and effectively seal the cartridge to the container, but you need some way to be sure the oring can't get out of position. For a quick example obtain or machine a couple of tubular plastic sleeves of the appropriate diameter to allow them to go over the cartridge, One goes over cartridge bottom, and is long enough to come up within a inch (just picking a number for example). Then the oring goes into place above that sleeve, followed by a short sleeve of appropriate length to retain the oring with your top plug/lid in place. You would need to make sure the fit of the oring is appropriate to make a sure seal between the cartridge and container wall.

Other methods I have used include fabricating a tube to go into inlet at inside of bottom plug of filter tower, and the upper end is exact size to seal into or onto the filter cartridge female or male end. (most of those will have internal or external oring seals at cartridge inlet end). Some machining is typically required to get this right.

Some photos of your filter tower ends, inside and out, would be helpful to generate some more ideas. Look forward to hearing from you.
The older I get the better I was.

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 pm

549389975.jpg
Inside dim are 2'' x 15 3/4''. There is also an aluminum plug that slides inside to separate oil and air that can be used to seal the filter cartridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

hunterkz wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 pm
549389975.jpgInside dim are 2'' x 15 3/4''. There is also an aluminum plug that slides inside to separate oil and air that can be used to seal the filter cartridge.
The piston (plug) has great potential for adapting some type of seal to a filter cartridge. Beats modifying a critical end cap.
Look through the Lawrence Factor cartridge options to see if something looks promising. Let me know if you want me to look at something you find.

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am

I was thinking about this type of filter or similar. It looks like the intake air is sealed by an oring on a nipple so I can use the plug and drill a hole in it to the right size. I could put a spring in the dead space to push the plug into the filter and keep it there. I guess the air space below the filter where the spring would be would also get rid of some water too. I'll take better pictures and measurements tonight.
http://www.lawrence-factor.com/Filters/ ... ber=X62790

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:31 pm

hunterkz wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am
I was thinking about this type of filter or similar. It looks like the intake air is sealed by an oring on a nipple so I can use the plug and drill a hole in it to the right size. I could put a spring in the dead space to push the plug into the filter and keep it there. I guess the air space below the filter where the spring would be would also get rid of some water too. I'll take better pictures and measurements tonight.
http://www.lawrence-factor.com/Filters/ ... ber=X62790
I agree with you on all that! One suggestion is use a good sharp/maybe new drill bit and make a test hole in similar material to test fit. Chamfer the edge at top of hole to prevent cutting oring. Drill press or lathe will help make a smoother bore than a hand held drill. I am probably telling you stuff you already know.

Return to “Compressor Talk”