MikeAlan
Lung Diver
First Name: Mike

Re: My new (to me) compressor

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:59 pm

USD-Luchard-ALIZE-1.JPG
Well, with the help of the very good people on this forum, I am proud to be the only guy in the world* who has a complete, properly functioning ALIZE compressor, made by Luchard in France, paired with a U.S. made Clinton engine, and sold by U.S.Divers from 1958 to 1965! :D

Let me emphasize "with the help of the very good people on this forum".

I had done some of the restoration myself, rebuilding the engine and the compressor, but without Bill and Tom, and Bryan, this wouldn't be both running AND pumping air! :!:

Yes, it's old school, and it's slow as hell. There's better technology in the engineering of every facet of modern compressors.

But this thing is so cool...I love it. At 65 pounds, I can pick it up and haul it by myself. The exhaust is routed up high, on a 4 foot vertical pipe, to keep nasty exhaust away from the compressor intake. There's barely any muffling, like my old mini-bikes and go-karts. There's no "safety guard" around the flywheel/fan, and it would be easy to get hurt...I'm glad I grew up in a time when you were expected to KNOW not to stick your hand into a moving blade... :wink:

Captain, was the one who pointed out the missing o-ring in the relief valve, and without that information, I could have never figured out that thing.

Antique Diver, sent me an assortment of tiny o-rings that I could sort through, and has offered help with valve rebuilding and generously sends parts out at no charge, just because he's a darn good guy.

Bryan, obviously has the VDH website, where all this came together, and has all the parts a vintage diving enthusiast could normally need.

The amount of information accumulated here; the combined knowledge of the members here, and the willingness to share that, is just amazing. I cannot think of a single thing I've wanted or needed to know that I can't (eventually) find the answer to somewhere within these pages.

Thanks to the entire VDH community! :)

* That I know of... :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:03 pm

It's a fantastic piece of equipment and diving history. Congratulations and thanks for the positive comments.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Just like my Cyclone the Luchard compressors are practically indestructible. I may also own the only running Cyclone.
Captain

timbo
Lung Diver
First Name: tim

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:22 am

I have a cyclone project laying around in the attic.
So in the future there could be two.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:31 am

Way to Cool Us divers Congrats on this find

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:48 am

That's a great job to get one of these old beasts up and running! A nice addition to anyone's vintage equipment collection.:D
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 am

timbo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:22 am
I have a cyclone project laying around in the attic.
So in the future there could be two.
If you need a copy of the original manual I can copy mine.
Captain

timbo
Lung Diver
First Name: tim

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Yes please,that would be great.

Return to “Compressor Talk”