Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

A Must Read....Compressor 101

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:09 am

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: A Must Read....Compressor 101

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks for putting that up Bryan! I book marked that one.

Jim

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Ditto on that one Jim. Captain gave me a heads up on that same article and I made sure to bookmark it. Being new to owning my own compressor it makes for a great reference. Thanks Guys! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:28 am

- I've been reading up on RIX compressors and I believe what your article refers to as the PMV is called a "Back-Pressure Regulator" on the RIX system. The manual says it "will improve moisture separator efficiency and filter life as much as 450%". It talks about maintaining the Back-Pressure level when the tank pressure is lower... In other words when filling tanks directly from the compressor.
- But here's a question: If a compressor is hooked up to a cascade storage system, won't back pressure from the cascade storage accomplish the same thing as a Back Pressure Regulator or PMV?
- Additional to that, your article says some compressors don't have a PMV... Is it because they don't need one when connected to Cascade Storage?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Somewhat but it would depends on what is the lowest pressure you let the bank get to before filling and that you do or don't equalize the bank before filling them all at once or fill cylinder by cylinder. If the lowest cylinder in the bank is 1000 psi and you are filling just it then it can't act as a high enough back pressure. By the same token if you equalize the bank to fill all cylinders at one time what will the equalization pressure be. If the equalized pressure is below 2000 psi again you won't have sufficient back pressure.

Now if you have a 4500 psi bank and never let the lowest cylinder get below 2000 psi you could do with out the pack pressure valve.
Captain

temptress
First Name: Jenine

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:55 pm

The info provided in the link really helps, especially the diagrams. The site makes it lot easier to understand what components are used and how the system works. I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet, so I bookmarked it. Thumbs up for the share, man!
Retailer of top quality discount scuba gear and freediving equipment.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:22 am

I wish they explained the math a bit easier to understand for those of us that didn't do so well in algebra and are planning on setting up our own compressor and filter. but the diagram of the compressor setup is very useful.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Return to “Compressor Talk”