Creed
Master Diver

DIN to Yoke connection?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:42 pm

OK, I was able to convince the local fire chief to let me fill up my tanks on their system. However, their equipment is DIN, and has no yoke whips. Is there any way to rig up an adapter to let me fill my tanks from such a system? I asked about paying for a yoke whip to be added, but it was shot down.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Creed
Master Diver

Re: DIN to Yoke connection?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Actually, after I got to thinking and googling about it again, I ran across this:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.a ... DinAdapter

Is this what I need?

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:32 pm

The thing is that some of the converters will not fit the fatter valves. I use Poseideon converters and they fit everything I have including the Din/Yoke convertable valves.

Check eBay by doing a search "Din to Yoke" and 6 or 7 should pop up.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

scubajim1
Lung Diver

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:31 am

I second the Poseideon converters. I have had one for years and never had a issue anywhere.

elmerfudd

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:52 am

That adapter ought to do the trick, assuming they really have DIN fittings. Most SCBA tanks use a strange threaded connection, kind of like an oversize DIN valve with the male/female fittings reversed.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 am

Be aware that if the fire department only fills SCBA, they normally only check their air purity for grade D, not grade E. If the fire department also has a Scuba team, then they will have to comply with grade E breathing air purity.

The air quality for breathing air (grade D) at one atmosphere is not required to be as clean as for breathing under pressure.

That being said, even if it is not tested to the grade E level, it is still possible that it may meet the higher standards.

I was surprised to see that on all the newer NAVY destroyers they have some great looking large Bauer compressors used to fill the SCBA and they only meet grade D air quality (or at least they only test for grade D). Most NAVY ships have excess capacity (in volume and pressure) to fill SCBA, but they can not fill a SCUBA tank.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 am

Creed wrote:OK, I was able to convince the local fire chief to let me fill up my tanks on their system. However, their equipment is DIN, and has no yoke whips. Is there any way to rig up an adapter to let me fill my tanks from such a system? I asked about paying for a yoke whip to be added, but it was shot down.
Creed, before getting DIN to YOKE adapter, be sure that they actually have a DIN adapter that they use to fill SCUBA cylinders. Fire departments normally only have the CGA-346 or CGA-347 fill connections to fill their SCBA's... not SCUBA.... and sometimes the terminology gets confused.

If it turns out they only fill SCBA cylinders, I can come up with the proper adapter for that CGA fitting to SCUBA yoke. If necessary to determine for sure, just take a photo of their fill connector and send to me via email.
The older I get the better I was.

Creed
Master Diver

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:19 am

Actually, it turns out that I know the company that maintains their equipment, so I'm going to give them a call to get answers. Thanks!

Return to “Compressor Talk”