antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Alkin = Bauer Filter

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:56 am

SurfLung wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:50 pm
Yes, the in and out ports are 1/4 NPT... I haven't looked yet but I think I'll probably be calling Alkin. I remember when I ordered the compressor, I had some choices on the fill whip and just went with the standard set-up like your photo. Yes, I'll post a photo of the finished plumbing.
Asking Alkin is probably best bet.
I still would be curious to see a close shot and diameter measurement of the male end that leads to the hose shown. Email or post here when you get a chance... thanks
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:14 pm

Portable CO/Moisture Detector
- I made this out of a tank checker. a CO/Moisture thingy and parts from August Industries. This goes on any scuba tank or set of scuba doubles. The Alkin fill whip just attaches to the scuba valve orifice. So, I don't have to modify the Alkin whip. I really only need it for one fill.. To check the moisture and CO which will confirm that my filtration media is still good. Then just fill the rest of my tanks directly with the Alkin whip.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:30 pm

That is an interesting idea. I wonder though about the accuracy. Installed on a compressor, it is usually in an environmentally stable portion of the system (like post filter, and before the pmv). Won't your detector paper be subject to atmospheric conditions until connected. Don't you then need to "dry/condition" the indicator before you get an accurate representation of the condition of the air?

I don't know, so asking.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:05 am

rhwestfall wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:30 pm
That is an interesting idea. I wonder though about the accuracy. Installed on a compressor, it is usually in an environmentally stable portion of the system (like post filter, and before the pmv). Won't your detector paper be subject to atmospheric conditions until connected. Don't you then need to "dry/condition" the indicator before you get an accurate representation of the condition of the air?

I don't know, so asking.
Good question. My plan is to seal both ends and the bleeder when not in use. But on the other hand, I have heard that running properly dry air over a pink indicator strip will turn it back to blue. I have done that by putting a pink strip in the oven and drying it back to blue. And, someone in my distant past told me if a compressor is putting out dry air, it will turn an indicator strip from pink to blue. I don't remember who... Maybe I dreamed it. :)

This all started when I found out the Pre-Pack Alkin filters that come from Lawrence Factor... They do not have the blue indicator strips which make it so convenient to check your filter before filling. Without the indicator strip, I just have to go by the hours of use and my gut feeling. AntiqueDiver Bill said the CO/Moisture thingy was the way to go. BUT, if you look at the fill whip for the Alkin, There doesn't seem to be a good place to mount the thingy on either end. So I came up with this.

Critique - One thing I'm a bit disappointed about: I ordered a 3-grade moisture disk and a CO disk from August Industries. Instead of the moisture disk, they sent me a 1/2" blue indicator strip to stick on the front of the CO disk. The note with the blue strip said it reads a certain percentage on one half and a different percentage on the other half... But no way to tell which half is which. FilterTechs has round moisture strips... One for 10% and another for 40%. I think I'll order the 10% one for next year.
https://filtertechs.com/product-categor ... or-h2o-co/

August Industries has the best deal on the CO/Moisture indicator thingy...
https://www.augustindustries.com/produc ... indicator/
SurfLung

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:47 pm

I have been using moisture sensor for several years.

I use the 10, 20, 30 indicator disc and I always keep the outlet of my compressor pressurized with about 130 psi of dry air. I just have a first stage attached with an adapter (and a check valve to make sure HP air can never be fed into the LP regulator).
https://www.augustindustries.com/produc ... or-disk-2/

I don't worry a lot about CO. I am running an electric compressor, I monitor the CO (and CO2 level) around the compressor and the compressor runs cool enough that it is hard to imagine the oil producing any CO. I also run Bauer synthetic oil. The Bauer filter cartridge also contain Hopcalite.

So I am more concerned about any moisture than most anything else.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:55 am

As I run a separate CO detection system, I just use only moisture detection paper disks in the device. They are the lowest level ones. I actually plumbed the eye in after what has become effectively two water separators, and before my cartridge purification filter. It lets me know if I messed up and let moisture get to the filter. High humidity here has me always cautious of water.

Even with a 3-component filter, I ran a CO detection system even though my compressor was electric because of the age of the unit (a very very old MAKO/Bauer) and I felt needed to be watched.

Now with a brand new compressor, I'm swapping everything over just because I have it...

I am again making a little adjustment to the filtration scheme. with the new compressor. This involves using the OEM combined water separator and filter (Bauer P0) as just a two stage water separator (packing only with 13x MS), and adding an additional 3-component cartridge filter downstream. I also have hyper-filters on the end that produces OCA.
Bob

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:47 pm

rhwestfall wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:55 am
As I run a separate CO detection system, I just use only moisture detection paper disks in the device. They are the lowest level ones. I actually plumbed the eye in after what has become effectively two water separators, and before my cartridge purification filter. It lets me know if I messed up and let moisture get to the filter. High humidity here has me always cautious of water.

Even with a 3-component filter, I ran a CO detection system even though my compressor was electric because of the age of the unit (a very very old MAKO/Bauer) and I felt needed to be watched.

Now with a brand new compressor, I'm swapping everything over just because I have it...

I am again making a little adjustment to the filtration scheme. with the new compressor. This involves using the OEM combined water separator and filter (Bauer P0) as just a two stage water separator (packing only with 13x MS), and adding an additional 3-component cartridge filter downstream. I also have hyper-filters on the end that produces OCA.

What are you using to detect CO? And how are you using it?

Can I ask, why are you using hyper-filters? Are you partial pressure blending?

Thanks
Luis

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:04 pm

Luis,

I'll try and explain as I seem to not be able to post pictures that can load....

I will directly email you pics of my old compressor configuration...

On the back side of my PMV, I have a leg of a tee that goes through a valve, and has a female DIN fitting. Screwed into that is a DIN OxyCheq flow limiter. The tubing output is then sent through a tee, one leg with a check valve, and the other leg to an adjustable flowmeter. The output of that regulated flow feeds a Sensorcon CO meter. The other leg of the tubing has an adjustable vent (drip bubbler) that expells excess pressure to get the proper and stable flow to the meter.

The plumbing is sort of how they used to sell a "for SCUBA" kit (the blow by leg). The engineer in me added the adjustable flowmeter...

I was gifted the hyper-filters when I got the old compressor to use as my main filtration. As said, I tweaked the whole filtration scheme. Also, it allowed me to make air for PP blending if I was so inclined... It is a 3 cartridge vessel from NS Research that I get the filters from UltraFilter out of Sweeden for it. They have 400 hour life, so aren't too awful to maintain..
Bob

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks Bob
Luis

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:28 pm

luis wrote:
Thanks Bob

Don't say I said this, but Bob is notorious for overkill.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:53 am

SurfLung, thanks for your creative idea.
Have all my parts together from the scrap bins.
Just waiting on the moister can.
IMG_1411-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:18 pm

2THDIVR wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:53 am
SurfLung, thanks for your creative idea.
Have all my parts together from the scrap bins.
Just waiting on the moister can.
IMG_1411-2.JPG
Ah Ha Ha... It's a work of art! Thanks for the compliment! :oops:

I think it's interesting to look back in time at what was apparently acceptable compared to the great lengths we presently go to in assuring that we have good quality air. For example...

My RIX SA3A oiless compressor originally only used two moisture condenser towers and NO FILTER MEDIA. They DID use a Back Pressure Regulator to serve as a PMV though.

My 1980s Coltri MCH6 had a broken condenser and a filter filled only with charcoal... No 13X and no PMV. Labeling is Italian language but looks like it lubed on 30 weight motor oil. The MCH6 is light duty... You're suppose to let it cool between tank fills. I can imagine that 30 weight oil getting a little too hot and dieseling once in awhile and producing some carbon monoxide. Nowadays we have the synthetic oils that are far less likely to diesel PLUS we have the Hopcalite filters. The original set up had no PMV either. Mine has all of the modern upgrades including a PMV.

And finally, my Tornado Kidde had a condenser filled part way with aquarium rocks (for surface area) and a filter full of nothing but carbon. This too was using a petroleum based oil in the early years and running at 3400 rpm it had to get hot. It also had no PMV.

It's nice that they all were upgradeable to modern accepted compressor standards. BUT, it's amazing what the previous owners got away with and the poor quality of air they must have been breathing!
SurfLung

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:11 am

Here's the one I put together.
Works great.
Using the 10-20-30 disk.
Filled a couple tanks, used it on the second tank no moisture detected.
SurfLung, Thanks again for the idea.
Thanks
Scott
IMG_1424-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:47 pm

antique diver wrote:
luis wrote:
Thanks Bob

hey, hey, hey....

:oops:
Bob

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:08 am

rhwestfall wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:47 pm
antique diver wrote:
luis wrote:
Thanks Bob

hey, hey, hey....

:oops:
Well Bob, no insult intended... I admit to having similar inclinations :roll:

Return to “Compressor Talk”