timbo
Lung Diver
First Name: tim

draeger K14

Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:03 pm

This one is cumming my way this week. After selling my capitano to a friend of mine I could not resist this
lovly K14. 1961 and stil going strong.

couv
Master Diver

Re: draeger K14

Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 am

Tim,

That is beautiful. It another example showing how the generation(s) before us had an eye for beauty as well as function. When I think of the automobiles, kitchen appliances, etc. they produced when compared to the austere (or going in the opposite direction, outlandish) product designs of today, I have to tip my hat to them.

Re your compressor. Are the lines going to and from the filter stacks copper?

Cheers,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Based on a couple of similar ones (with K15 blocks) I have repaired, I think this design originally had the fire fighting service in mind but is certainly appropriate for SCUBA as well. Looks like you attach two or four cylinders directly to the DIN type bulkhead-mounted outlets without hoses involved. Of course you could easily use a female DIN to hose to your choice of final connector, DIN or Yoke. That would probably be a more convenient way to fill instead of holding the cylinder up to the DIN with one hand while turning the connector in with the other.

If I read the label properly the unit is rated for 225 BAR / 3262 PSI, (but I wonder if it might be in ATM instead... a negligible difference).

Couv, that is copper tubing you see.

That's a nice find!
The older I get the better I was.

timbo
Lung Diver

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:43 pm

Yes I think its purpose was filling botles for smoke protection equipment.
Its strange that the filling conectors are so low to the ground. Its been shipped from
germany at the moment. I am expecting it thursday or friday.

timbo
Lung Diver

Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:04 pm

update on the drager. My plan was to give this one a service and start using it to fill my tanks.
I saw it running before I bought it and it seemed to work just fine. I had to disassemble the compressor to solve the
interiour red paint problem. Like usual I stumbled on to some extra problems while doing this. The third stage cylinder was pitted and
one of the piston rings was broken. So I had to sleeve the cylinder. I had to do it myself because the guy who normaly does this kind of work for
me would not get in to doing it. To much work he said and he was right. It was a pain. The compressor block is reassembled but now I am going to do some modifications on the plumbing. There was no PMV so I am putting one in.

timbo
Lung Diver

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:25 pm

some pictures of what I found inside

after cleaning

during assembly

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 pm

I'm sure those fill connectors are conveniently the same height as the SCBA bottles they were using at the time

timbo
Lung Diver

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:17 am

this unit was build to fill the smaler bottles that fire fighters use. Originaly it was mounted on some kind of mounting
table so it was at belly height so the bottles would fit straight to the ports. I don't have the original mount but seen pictures of it.

Return to “Compressor Talk”