Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Coltri MCH6

Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:19 pm

Been looking at a new mch6 for $2,200 like one a friend has. Dont see any threads on here for them. Anyone know if they are descent, or a waste of money?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Coltri MCH6

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:31 am

Pretty sure the MaxAir 35 is a rebranded Coltri MCH6. My MaxAir even has Coltri stamped on the block. They are rated 3.5 cubic feet per minute and will fill a 72 in about 30 minutes. They are not rated for continuous run, so if your thinking about a cascade system, this isn't what you want. You also have to manually drain the condensate. No big deal. I usually do little projects in the shop while I'm filling and drain it every five minutes or so.
I bought mine used with 11 hours on it. It now has close to 200 hours and is running well. If your just filling three or four tanks at a shot, this is a good unit. It's good enough to keep you away from the LDS.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:06 pm

I have three friends that own MCH-6 compressors under the MaxAir 35 brand name. All are very happy with them. Myself, I have a "vintage" 1980s Aerotecnica Coltri MCH-6 that I am also very happy with. Like SwimJim says, they are not intended for commercial use. Some of the things the Coltri factory recommends for getting the longest life out of an MCH-6:

1. Open the drain valves before starting. Then, let it warm up before closing the drains to start compressing air. You can rest your fingers on the 1st stage cylinder head and feel it getting warm and then let go when its hot. Then close the drains and pump air.

2. Don't overheat the compressor by continuous running. Turn it off and let it cool as needed between tank fills.

P.S. There ARE some MCH-6 threads on this forum :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks guys. Of course I will undoubtedly find a way to keep it cooler while running if I buy one. I'll look harder for the coltri threads. I did a search but didn't come across any.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 pm

SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Compressor Talk”