2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Alkin = Bauer Filter

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:23 pm

Are the Alkin P-21 filter for the W-31 and the Bauer P21 Triplex filters fits most small Bauers the same?
Can I use the Bauer filters in an Alkin?
Lenght and dia are the same.
Thanks for any help.

Scott

fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Re: Alkin = Bauer Filter

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:09 pm

Hello Scott
I have been using the Alkin aluminum P21 filter in my Bauer Purus triplex filter for a couple of years now without any issues. I believe the Bauer and Alkin p21 filters are the same size, so either should work in your Alkin. I like the ability to repack my own filter to save some money.

Jerry

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:34 pm

Jerry

Thanks for the info.
Have the aluminum Alkin that I'm repacking.
Just wondering for the future.
There's a $8 difference between the 2 at Filter Techs.

Scott

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks for the info... I just ordered one pre-packed filter for the Bauer P21/X21 and one for the Alkin P21/X14... The Bauer was $37 and the Alkin was $45... Ordered from Filtertechs. So, I'll have them side by side to compare and will post my results here. I'll be using them on my Alkin Vertical W31.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 pm

Just ordered a Bauer filter with an air test kit.
Want to see how good my repacks work.

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Got my air test results.
Was wondering how my repack would do.
Came back with better test results than the Alkin filter.
Did get a Bauer filter to test for fitting the Alkin.

Scott

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:40 pm

Good News and Bad News of Lawrence Factor Filters for the Alkin...

I ordered the LF filter for the Alkin 32 and I also ordered the filter for the Bauer 21. They are identical except the Bauer has a metal nozzle and the Alkin has a plastic one. So as far as I can tell, they will both work on the Alkin.

The Bad News... They didn't put that handy blue strip in either of them. So, you can't just look at the strip to see if your filter is used up.

The Alkin manual says to change the filter media after 50 hours or 3 months... whichever comes first. I've been using mine for 3 months but only have 16 hours on it. Real easy to change. I have not tried re-packing the original metal filter housing. But I have a re-pack kit from Alkin and it is about half the cost of the LF filters. I also have the bulk filter media and will certainly try that at some point.

AlkinFilters01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SurfLung

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:22 pm

Here in Florida with the humidity I'm getting about 20 - 25 hrs. on a filter, in my Alkin.
A little more maybe 30, during the winter months.
50 hrs. maybe if it was cool, drier air from inside the airconditioned house
Ya, No moister strip in the filters I have received.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:01 pm

About the moisture strip that we all relied on for years...
It's not as foolproof as was once believed. Turns out that it is common for larger volumes of incoming air to channel up through the central portion of the drying media, causing it to adsorb more moisture than the outer most area. The test strip can remain blue even though the central portion of media is getting moist due to more air volume (and its moisture load) passing through it. Some filter cartridge manufacturers are leaving the strip out because of the potential for it giving an inaccurate blue color reading.

A small moisture sensor device installed just downstream of the main filter tower gives a much more accurate estimate of the moisture content of the treated air. These cylindrical devices are typically about 3 to 4 inches long and about 1.5 inches in diameter, and have a thick clear view port. That port gives a view of the same type of moisture indicating paper, showing up as blue when the air is appropriately dry, and fading to tan or white when moisture is greater than desirable for diving use. Prices can vary but I see them anywhere from 50 to $70 range. They work well, and have the added advantage that you can check the air moisture content any time without opening up the filter tower and removing the cartridge for a view.
The older I get the better I was.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:51 am

THANK YOU.
I have been sitting here on the sidelines listening and watching. I have stepped off the ladder a picked up a compressor. Thank you for the real time info.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:29 pm

h2operations wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:51 am
THANK YOU.
I have been sitting here on the sidelines listening and watching. I have stepped off the ladder a picked up a compressor. Thank you for the real time info.
What compressor did you get?

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm

antique diver wrote:
It's not as foolproof as was once believed. Turns out that it is common for larger volumes of incoming air to channel up through the central portion of the drying media, causing it to adsorb more moisture than the outer most area. The test strip can remain blue even though the central portion of media is getting moist due to more air volume (and its moisture load) passing through it. Some filter cartridge manufacturers are leaving the strip out because of the potential for it giving an inaccurate blue color reading.

A small moisture sensor device installed just downstream of the main filter tower gives a much more accurate estimate of the moisture content of the treated air. These cylindrical devices are typically about 3 to 4 inches long and about 1.5 inches in diameter, and have a thick clear view port. That port gives a view of the same type of moisture indicating paper, showing up as blue when the air is appropriately dry, and fading to tan or white when moisture is greater than desirable for diving use. Prices can vary but I see them anywhere from 50 to $70 range. They work well, and have the added advantage that you can check the air moisture content any time without opening up the filter tower and removing the cartridge for a view.
Thanks Bill. The reasoning why they left off the blue indicator in the LF filters makes sense. Even so, the blue indicator strips are the main reason I like LF filters. So if they're not workable on these filters, I might as well re-pack the metal filter canister with bulk filter media and use the downstream visual indicator and the hours of use to determine when to change filter media. I just ordered a Visual Indicator and disks from August Industries. I got both the general use and the double sensitive disks... I take pride in dispensing the driest air possible. The unit has 1/4 NPT connections. Not sure how it will fit into my Alkin fill whip but I'll post the results here.

https://www.augustindustries.com/produc ... ndicators/

P.S. I just re-read your response... Are you saying the test strip situation pertains to LF filters OTHER than these Alkin/Bauer type filters?
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:55 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm
antique diver wrote:

Thanks Bill. The reasoning why they left off the blue indicator in the LF filters makes sense. Even so, the blue indicator strips are the main reason I like LF filters. So if they're not workable on these filters, I might as well re-pack the metal filter canister with bulk filter media and use the downstream visual indicator and the hours of use to determine when to change filter media. I just ordered a Visual Indicator and disks from August Industries. I got both the general use and the double sensitive disks... I take pride in dispensing the driest air possible. The unit has 1/4 NPT connections. Not sure how it will fit into my Alkin fill whip but I'll post the results here.

https://www.augustindustries.com/produc ... ndicators/

Good move Eben! It's a much better way to monitor filter condition. Thanks for posting the link.
Send me a close photo of your connections at the filter and hose at that point. Hopefully it will be something we can recognize.

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:28 pm

SurfLung
alkin hose.jpg
I would really be interested in what is needed to get the sensor housing mounted to this mess.
Pretty sure the fittings are all metric.

Thanks
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:50 pm

Yes, the in and out ports are 1/4 NPT... I haven't looked yet but I think I'll probably be calling Alkin. I remember when I ordered the compressor, I had some choices on the fill whip and just went with the standard set-up like your photo. Yes, I'll post a photo of the finished plumbing.
SurfLung

Return to “Compressor Talk”