No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Cheap Compressor Filters

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:07 pm
I just purchased a Wlater Kiddie compressor but it has at best marginal filters on it. These look perfect for it. So, overall , you would recommend them?
Hi Herman,
- I feel unqualified to actually "recommend" this filter system... I got so much negative response to it from the ScubaBoard. "Cheap Chinese Crap"... and similar comments, it sort of blew my confidence. Hard to tell if the biggest detractors really know what they're talking about or not. And, I didn't send the filtered air off for testing so I can't say it gives "E" grade breathing air. At the same time, I can't see any reason why NOT to recommend it.
- From what I've learned about the filtering process (as an amateur), the system makes just as much sense mechanically as other scuba compressor filters. In fact I've seen older scuba filters that are nowhere near as smart as this system. And when you add in a Back Pressure Regulator or Pressure Maintenance Valve... It's MORE efficient than vintage filter systems that lacked those features.
- I filled scuba tanks many, many times through this filter system (30+). I dove with and breathed that air and didn't taste nor smell anything funny (yes I know CO doesn't taste or smell). And, I monitored the blue test strip in my filter. Moisture and oil came out of the condenser in significant amounts. All of the remaining air passed thru the filter media... So it HAD to have been filtered just like any other filter tower.
- I currently use this Chinese filter system on my RIX SA3. The RIX already has two condenser towers, so not much comes out of the condenser. But all of the RIX "Sweet Air" is going through the filter tube and I monitor the blue strip to be sure I always have sufficient filter capacity remaining. In other words, it works fine for me.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Compressor Talk”