Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Upside down reg

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Looking at this creature pic from the Florida Springsfest site. Was there some advantage to having your reg on upside down? Another inch of water column to ease breathing? Or just some no-nothing dip-s**t? (Of course if that's someone famous I'm maligning then I'm sure they had a perfectly good reason to look dorky) :D
Creature.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

jrltenn
Master Diver
First Name: Joshua

Re: Upside down reg

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Maybe to keep the hoses down while using the camera?

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 am

Probably the photographer had his reason. In any event it would have no effect on breathing, only diaphragm and duckbill location does which are central to can no matter the position.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am

Some of the really early Aqua Lung pictures show them diving the regulators upside down and backwards. I think Phil mentions this in one of his HDS articles.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Since the shot was usually "up", to keep the background out of the frame, the camera man probably got tired of getting bonked in the back of the head by the horns.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 pm

What you guys are saying all makes sense. Just struck me as odd, but then again its Hollywood. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”