Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
8dust
Master Diver

Tinnerman clamps

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Any thoughts out there on the original finish for non-chrome tinnerman clamps?

Kinda looks like gun blue.....???
Freddo
NAVED member #201

8dust
Master Diver

Re: Tinnerman clamps

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Little help now... anyone with a set in good original condition....

Blued, Blacked, or Plum Brown... some other DIY finish, anyone?
Freddo
NAVED member #201

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Hey Fred,

Unfortunately I have no extras. I was rooting around in my LDS parts bin this morning and found 2 but too corroded to be useful even if cleaned. Sorry 'bout that. Sounds like someone is in their garage standing over their dryer as a work bench futzing on a reg for Sea Hunt Forever. At least that's what I've been doing. :D Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Found this site for Tinnerman on the Web. Good luck. Mark

Tinnerman Hose Clamps - Hose Plugs - Pipe Clips - Bolt Products Inc.

http://www.boltproducts.com/tinnerman/clamps-hose.html

Looks like wholesale only but they must have retail dealers around.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:09 pm

I've got the clamps i need, i just want to clean them up a fuzz, and yes, it's part of my packing. :)

Looking forward to seeing you, Mark, and meeting your son. Would love to bring mine, but a lot going on for him at school getting ready for spring break. One of these years. Going to need him to cary my tanks soon enough!

That's a good site/source to know about, BTW.
Thanks!
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Cold blue may work to refinish them ....Ask Eben about that. I have seen some that I thought were painted with an enamel because it was so thick.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:19 pm

The BC cold blue was my first idea, just not sure the color is appropriate to the original. Could just as easy use their blackn or brown.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:34 pm

8dust wrote:Looking forward to seeing you, Mark, and meeting your son. Would love to bring mine, but a lot going on for him at school getting ready for spring break.
Bring him! My son is also busier than a one-armed bartender but life goes way to fast to miss out on adventures, especially with his old man. A couple days missed school is nothing compared to him having the ability to tell his grandkids when he's 80 about being part of a grand Sea Hunt adventure back in '17. Is the guilt trip working? :lol:

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Mark, check your PMs.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:19 am

Fred, PM responded to. Mark

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:37 am

Brownelll's Oxpho Blue is the shiznick when it comes to a deep blue black finish with a cold bluing. Just ensure that you take all the old bluing and rust off before you blue it.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1072.aspx
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:49 pm

I have some black Tinnerman clamps and am assuming they are Black Oxide finished. "Black Oxide" is the hot blue finish we put on guns. We call it bluing on guns but in machine tool parts and other products we call it black oxide. The "look" can be very glossy or very matte/flat black... Depending on whether the parts are highly polished before bluing or bead blasted before bluing.

The "hot" black oxide is quite a bit more durable than cold bluing... I think just because the hot treatment goes deeper. It's not a coating but rather a controlled rusting... And a deeper finish is less likely to show light surface scratches. BUT, the hot finish is not for Do it yourselfers.

Another idea is to use the Brownells Baking Lacquers. They come in gloss as well as matte black. You spray paint the parts and then bake them in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes. The baking seems to make the finish very thin, consistent, and hard.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1143.aspx
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”