Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Navy Type DA rebuild

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:27 am

File_000.jpeg
Another forum member was nice enough to sell me a Navy Type DA at a great price. Today, I rebuilt it. I know that we have covered this before, but I just wanted to go through my version of a DA rebuild, just in case folks have never done one.

- After doing all the disassembly, cleaning, etc. I assemble the first stage nozzle, slip it into the yoke, and put it on a scuba tank. I charge the nozzle. I listen to make sure that the first stage isn't leaking at all. I use the pin and pad to depressurize the nozzle, and remove it from the tank.

-I put the nozzle and yoke onto the main body of the regulator, and affix the body to the back can with the body ring. At this point I test fit a second stage diaphragm. If the arms on the diaphragm are off center, then I loosen the body ring a tiny bit and move the body of the regulator. Even the cans with ears for locating the body have a little slop in them. This sometimes is the difference between a regulator that vibrates and one that doesn't, along with second stage lever height. I get the second stage lever alignment as close to center on both tabs of the diaphragm as possible by fidgeting with the regulator body alignment.

-After all this, I screw the second stage lever screws all the way in, then back them out 2 full turns. I use my micrometer to make sure that the lever is true, and if it isn't then I may back out one screw a half turn or so to make it true. Then, I install the locking pin for the second stage screws.

-Like Captain Tom, I tune the first stage by ear. I put the regulator on a tank with 300PSI, then increase the first stage pressure until the second stage hisses. At that point, I back the first stage screw off 1/8 of a turn, then cycle the horseshoe lever a bunch to make sure it isn't leaky. Once I'm confident that everything is good to go, then I assemble the regulator.

-It should crack at 1"-1.5" on a 300 PSI tank, and 2"-2.5" on a full one. That's about the usual for a stock DA regulator.

There are many ways to rebuild a DA, and this is A way :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Navy Type DA rebuild

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:52 am

Being half deaf, when I test a 1st stage for leaks I screw it into the body, put it on a full tank and put water in the diaphragm pocket and look for bubbles.
Captain

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 am

bookmarked - thanks, Ron

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 am

I have used the same procedures for rebuilding the Navy Type DA. Tom and Ron provided me with expert advice when I was frustrated attempting to adjust my Voit VR2 using an IP setting of 125psi. Decreasing the IP down to 115 made all the difference.

While I thoroughly enjoy rebuilding USD and Voit DH regs, I have found the Navy Type DA mechanism to be the most difficult to service.

Greg Barlow
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 pm

captain wrote:Being half deaf, when I test a 1st stage for leaks I screw it into the body, put it on a full tank and put water in the diaphragm pocket and look for bubbles.
I have had good success by having a cat scan done on it. My kid had a cat that would come and stare at a leaking reg. The first time it happened I had a charged reg on a tank in the living room. I noticed the cat had locked in on it and was watching the reg like it was getting to pounce on it. I never heard a thing but I dunked it in a tub and saw some tiny bubbles. Good to know there is a use for a cat.

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:13 am

crimediver wrote:
captain wrote:Being half deaf, when I test a 1st stage for leaks I screw it into the body, put it on a full tank and put water in the diaphragm pocket and look for bubbles.
I have had good success by having a cat scan done on it. My kid had a cat that would come and stare at a leaking reg. The first time it happened I had a charged reg on a tank in the living room. I noticed the cat had locked in on it and was watching the reg like it was getting to pounce on it. I never heard a thing but I dunked it in a tub and saw some tiny bubbles. Good to know there is a use for a cat.
LOL, guess I need a cat regulator repair assistant.
Captain

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm

That is awesome man. :lol:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”