Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tube Covers

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm

Hello, does anyone still make the old time tube covers we used to use when shore diving (Aqua Craft). They slipped over about a 15 inch car tube. Some had a mesh bottom and some were solid nylon. Most were orange or yellow and also had a top cover with zipper and a holder for a dive flag. Recently while dragging my dive flag around Table Rock, it is the kind that uses a swim noodle with lead counterbalance weight, I decided that the flag spent more time in the water than above it. Also, BIG DISADVANTAGE, the old tubes could be used as a resting place/surface float for us no-BC divers and that swim noodle thing does not serve this need at all. I can easily drag my Ocean Kayak ( which is a superior dive vessel) but cannot carry it on the Whaler. Dragging the Whaler is not going to happen so when diving from the boat or from shore a tube would be great and portable enough to carry on the boat etc. I like being tethered to a flag, my wife can see where I am and the supposed safety of the flag follows you to ward off boaters. I used to have several of these and have no idea where they went off to. James

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

tube cover

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:58 pm

Hi Nemrod,
Global manufacturer makes them.
Smith diving in Mpls Mn sells them.

Are you going to Wayzee?
Jl :twisted:

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:56 am

Thanks for the info. I will try and check them out.

No, I don't think I can do Wayzee. That is way to cold for my thin blood. I hope to catch up with you guys--for certain---next Spring inn Florida or sooner even but I cannot go to Wayzee. Maybe next year I can get a dry suit or something and try Wayzee.
When I was a Table Rock a few weeks back and dove that paddle wheeler in 100 feet of water the temperature was 48 degrees according to my thermometer. I still have not warmed up. James

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

tube covers

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:28 pm

Hi James,
I think Leisure pro sells them.
Wayzee is warm above 20 feet,
jl :twisted: :P :)

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”