Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Quick OEM Yoke question - DAAM

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm

So, I was spending a little time yesterday searching the board archives for articles on the vaunted USD DA Aquamaster - over a million produced, workhorse of the line, continuous production from 59 (sic) - 73, good parts availability, upgradeable with Cyclone and HPR - etc.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Blue label, Warner Av. DAAM yesterday and won the auction (sn 261380) Nothing real special or rare about this one, bent over tabs, hookah port, shiny chrome, - probably from model year 68-71 (?)

From the pictures, it looks to me like it has the long skinny walled yoke that allowed for the banjo fitting plus spg - I just don't really care for the smaller diameter yoke screw on the OEM DAAM yoke. I like the use of an spg on my dives as my go to 72 has a K valve on it.

However - my AL 45 double set (with J valve manifold) is rated to 3000 psi and I'm wondering if anything has changed since that old 2011 thread was posted - specifically, do you DAAM users with OEM yokes have a problem running 3000 psi cylinders thru the reg.

I know I can refab a Conshelf yoke to work but I'd rather keep my reg as stock as possible except for a fresh inspection, rebuild and new silicone LP diaphragm and maybe a DBE. I can always short fill those doubles to 2500 psi too when I'm using the DAMM on them which may be the most prudent option of all. What would you do?

The whole purpose is I have a few friends who keep asking mildly inquisitive questions about diving a double hose - "arent they super hard to breathe from?" "What if it stops working?" "Isn't it too old?" "How do you compensate for buoyancy at depth?" - so . . my goal is to let them start out in mom's pool on my PRAM /HPR so they can hook up their water wings, octopus and air integrated console - (shudder) and I can have another perfectly serviceable DAAM to use when we hit open water and I'm diving my doubles with the A&D Adventures harness and they can use the PRAM with all the ports until they get comfy diving without a BCD and all the other gadgets and gizmos.

Thanks in advance

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Quick OEM Yoke question - DAAM

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:37 pm

All I can offer is that I never had a problem with mine at 3000psi. YMMV.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Question # 4 in the Vintage Double Hose FAQ section CLICK HERE TO VISIT
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:38 pm

Ahhh. The condensed version - beautiful -
Thank you!!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”