Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Best fin socks ever

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:51 pm

I know that Bryan's site is not for advertising stuff that other people make normally, but I thought I would pass these along:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-pcsss5/pica ... ocks-black

Picasso makes a sock called the supratex. It has a kevlar like covering on the bottom. They come in 3 and 5 MM, and sizes up to 2xl for those of you who, like me, already have fins when you swim without them on. I bought a set of these so that I could dive my original Jet Fins, which are the old original Georges Beuchat design and cannot be worn with a conventional wetsuit boot. I can't believe that I stumbled across an operational set of original Jets, but I had to have them. Here is a stock image of what they look like, if you haven't seen a pair before:
1024px-Jetfins_reglables.jpg
Anyway, these socks are all black, tough, and perfect for vintage diving. Mine are unlined, which makes them very warm as well. Just throwing it out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Best fin socks ever

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:08 am

Rob, maybe you could use these with your Hydroglove for protection but still let you use regular Jets?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:10 am

Ron, have you used them over the hydroglove? If yes did you go a size larger to fit over the socked feet etc?

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:12 pm

In preparation for Sea Hunt Forever, I have been working on repairing/restoring/reconditioning several old sets of duck feet fins. Of late I have also been testing them in the pool. Several observations: All of these sumbitches can chafe the living hell out of one's toes/heels/feet. So I was really encouraged when I saw this thread. However being the cheap bastard that I am I couldn't justify the price of the "Best fin socks ever" so I settled on an inexpensive substitute:

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-See-Lycra-Fi ... B003UAX2D4

They only cost $8.50 a pair. What I found is that they are best worn inside out so that the seam is on the outside and not up against your skin. I'll have them at Ocala, they work, and are dirt cheap, leaving me more money to spend of my double hose regulators. 8)
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:40 pm

USdiver wrote:In preparation for Sea Hunt Forever, I have been working on repairing/restoring/reconditioning several old sets of duck feet fins. Of late I have also been testing them in the pool. Several observations: All of these sumbitches can chafe the living hell out of one's toes/heels/feet. So I was really encouraged when I saw this thread. However being the cheap bastard that I am I couldn't justify the price of the "Best fin socks ever" so I settled on an inexpensive substitute:

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-See-Lycra-Fi ... B003UAX2D4

They only cost $8.50 a pair. What I found is that they are best worn inside out so that the seam is on the outside and not up against your skin. I'll have them at Ocala, they work, and are dirt cheap, leaving me more money to spend of my double hose regulators. 8)
I did the exact same thing. Bought two pair at 8.50 each (one for each day of the Sea Hunt show) because after an hour or so my Voit "Skin Divers" make my naked feet look like they went through a meat grinder. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”