Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Vulcan Knife questions

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Nice find! Alan will know, he did a lot of work with them few years ago.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:07 am

I believe the pommel (end cap) is blind screwed onto the tang of the blade. I have never tried to take one apart. The blades varied from no serrations to different number of teeth, most likely a result of different manufacturers. I would try to remove any rust without taking the knife apart.
The stainless steel of the metal is just that it stains less, not rust impervious.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:57 am

Thanks Alan, you da man!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:53 pm

I've got two Vulcans and as per normal one has a cracked sheath. However whoever owned this knife before drilled a small hole on either side of the sheath to prevent further cracking. Both knives are in good working order so I intend to begin using one of them and alternating them from time to time.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm not usually one to shy away from tearing into something, but I don't think I would take my Vulcan apart without knowing for sure how that piece is attached.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Bill, next time I need some body part x-rayed I'll just stick a Vulcan close by and see what it shows. Radiologists must get that all the time. :lol:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

crimediver
Master Diver

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:23 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:Bill, next time I need some body part x-rayed I'll just stick a Vulcan close by and see what it shows. Radiologists must get that all the time. :lol:
I worked for a 3rd rate ambulance service when I was putting myself through college in the 70's. My boss and I were bringing a patient with a broken leg to the ER when I got my finger slammed in the ambulance door. My cheap skate boss talked the X-ray tech into letting me place my hand next to the patients leg to get it x-rayed for free. It was broken so we splinted it up with an aluminum frog splint and it healed up OK. He just did not want a workmans comp claim. :roll:

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”