Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
OldNSalty
First Name: Kevin

What else to order for Jet Air?

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:31 am

I tried posting in the tech forum but I guess I don't have permission and I would look at the manual but the Navy is blocking the download so...... I order the Jet Air service kit and Jet Air body gasket last night but I know I need some more parts. From what I recall in taking it apart I need a new duckbill and mouth piece valves but what about a duckbill eliminator? I don't recall seeing that when I opened it up. Is there anything else I am missing (hoses will be ordered later)?

Thanks

Creed
Master Diver

Re: What else to order for Jet Air?

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:53 am

DBEs don't fit. So, a duckbill, the rebuild kit, body gaskets and any bits on the hose assembly that have gone belly up. That's all I used on mine.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:54 am

You won't find the duckbill eliminator in any USD parts diagram. We introduced it about 8 years ago to replace the duckbill which can be fidgety to keep in place when installing hoses.
Original Duckbills were made from rubber and had a tendency to either turn to mush or get extremely brittle after a few years. The new duckbills in the website store are made from silicone rubber and have none of those problems.
Click Here for Duckbill

I would highly recommend a silicone main diaphragm as the originals were once again made from rubber and no matter how well stored they have degraded over the years. The new diaphragm will lower the effort needed to get the air flowing and will improve or lessen the work of breathing.
Click Here for Diaphragm

A standard service kit and possibly a new HP seat are about the only other things you would need to get a Jet Air up and running 100%. You should use the Mistral service section of the manual. Everything will be the same except the Jet Air does not have an indexing pin that goes between the body and cans like the Mistral. The body in a Jet Air can only go in one way where the outlet is facing toward the horn. They are simple but very reliable regulators. Although they lack the improved venturi nozzle of the Mistral, when used with low pressure cylinders they are fantastic breathing regulators.

Click Here USD Manual

Click Here Jet Air PDF

I moved your post to the Classic Vintage Diving section because the Jet Air is a "Classic" :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Wish I still had mine. That was a really nice reg! I'll get another one day. :lol:

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”