Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Popular Science DITY Scuba

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:52 am

Here's a link to an interesting article on a DITY Scuba in Popular Science by Herb Pfister:

http://www.popsci.com/archive-viewer?id ... =dive+lung

July 1953

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Re: Popular Science DITY Scuba

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Thank you for finding this and sharing.
I don't think I will follow the "swallow any water in the mouthpiece" guidance that is provided in the "how to use your diving lung section". Me no-likey saltwater. Just saying.... :roll:
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Popular Science DITY Scuba

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:34 am

I would guess that most of us never learned or used the "Drink Or Drown" clearing method, but it was actually taught as a last resort action by some instructors way back when, and shows up in a diving textbook as late as 1971.

Early diving instructor in our area, George Cummings, mentions it as an alternative in his 1971first edition of MODERN EDUCATION IN SKIN AND SCUBA DIVING. I recall one of his earlier students mentioning to me that they performed that skill in the pool.

I should say that I mention this not to make fun of Mr. Cummings, but just as an example of how diver training has evolved over the years. George was a friend of ours, and the dive shop that he opened in 1971 is still going strong some 20+ years since his passing. Arlington Scuba has continued to be successful under the management of his son Tom Cummings, another good friend to many divers.

In some bodies of water that I have found myself in I might have to think seriously about the alternative to drinking the water. :shock:
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”