Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Parts for Snark III

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:41 am

What's the parts situation for Nemrod Snark III?

From my research it looks like the Vintage Snark III are the ones with the US divers looking cans and the newer ones have the smaller cans and are Snark III Silvers. Is this correct?

I'm considering that to be my next project, but I don't want to get in over my head with trying to secure parts. I know there was a member on the forum that was able to secure parts from Spain but is he still around? Is there another source?

Are there any parts that are interchangeable with parts that are readily available?

Thanks in advance!

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Parts for Snark III

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 am

Here is a picture of my Snark III Silver. Mine has the HP port on it. I was able to get part through Enrique Dauner who is a member of this forum. I don't know the current availability, but it would be worth a shot.

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 am

Im a bit confused, is that Snark a "Vintage" Snark or one of the newer models?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:36 pm

The one pictured is a Snark III Silver and was probably made toward the end of production which was in 1979. If the bench mark year of 1975 is used for the determination, this reg may not make the cut. For me though, it's close enough. A fine regulator too. There is an earlier Snark III, It had a slightly different 2nd stage seat design. I used to own one of those too. They are both really nicely made regs and good breathers.

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm trying to make a list of parts that are replaceable on the Snark III

From my research so far,

Hoses and mouthpiece can be replaced with US divers for better performance.
Exhaust valve can be replaced by Duckbill
Scuba Museum has low pressure seats I think
US divers diaphragm will fit and work in the reg

Am I missing anything else?

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:56 pm

Also, how does one get to the mouthpiece valves? Is this just a slow game of operation or building a ship in the bottle kinda process or am I missing something?

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm

- I've tried using a duckbill in the exhaust valve channel. It works but poorly. Tends to plug itself up when exhaust breath inflates it against the container. Makes for more work on the exhaust breath.

- More recently, I have found that you can substitute a DAAM can that will more efficiently mount a duck bill for easy exhale.

- I'm currently working on a Snark III that had a badly degraded HP diaphragm. I'm trying to subsititute a used DAAM HP diaphragm. It fits, but the pusher pad and pin for the Snark HP nozzle are being pushed in when I tighten the nozzle into place. I think it is a dimensional problem and my next attempt will be to solve it by using VDH DAAM nylon gaskets as spacers... I have seen the original Snark III use spacers in this way so maybe it will work.

(OOPS - I didn't realize this post was 2 years old)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”