Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Vintage Equipment Photo Section

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Link to a fairly fun dive. Using my 1958 DY "Jet Air", Duckfeet, Banjo, and Dogbone US Divers 1961 tank "Pac". Ship lies about 100 meters from our entry point. Both of the divers that I had with me were "Newbie" single hosers on their 10th and 15th dives. They loved it and they are considering becoming Double Hosers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs64v4-dlcY
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am

RUSS,
Nice Video. I had the opportunity to dive the Red Sea in 2015 and remember how great it was. One small point: your back pack, "USD Dogbone" had 2 models. The first one, which was introduced in 1962, is the one you have. The upper shoulder straps pass thru a large ring of the lower shoulder strap to become the sternum strap. This idea lasted till 1963 when USD realized how the upper shoulder straps would slip out of the rings and make it a pain to put on. In 1963, they "returned" to sewn sternum sections and the normal D-rings for the shoulder sections. The "Dogbone" was not available in 1961.
Allan
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 am

simonbeans wrote:RUSS,
Nice Video. I had the opportunity to dive the Red Sea in 2015 and remember how great it was. One small point: your back pack, "USD Dogbone" had 2 models. The first one, which was introduced in 1962, is the one you have. The upper shoulder straps pass thru a large ring of the lower shoulder strap to become the sternum strap. This idea lasted till 1963 when USD realized how the upper shoulder straps would slip out of the rings and make it a pain to put on. In 1963, they "returned" to sewn sternum sections and the normal D-rings for the shoulder sections. The "Dogbone" was not available in 1961.
Allan
Thanks Allan. Too bad you will never see a Dogbone on Sea Hunt. I love the way they fit. That said I need to get off my butt and order a Travel Harness and a Basket Harness from you, but the old Lady blew all my money last month.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:03 pm

I need mushroom valves for the Dacor (MP) regs!

If I remember correctly, the Dacor mouth piece mushrooms are the same as US Divers or Voit. Personally, I find the Dacor mouth pieces to be somewhat klunky. I use a US Divers curved mouth piece and hose set with mine when I dive them.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:19 pm

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 am

1960 DAAM with HPR and Cyclone. USD ser.# 206060

Before
1960 DAAM ser# 206060.jpg

After
20171022_172002_resized.jpg
20171022_170735_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Bronze06 wrote:1960 DAAM with HPR and Cyclone. USD ser.# 206060

Before
1960 DAAM ser# 206060.jpg

After
20171022_172002_resized.jpg
20171022_170735_resized.jpg

I love these pics "before - after" Well done Russ!!!

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 pm

I just tuned all my single stage regulators. Here is a gratuitous shot:
IMG_0533.JPG
That's a Broxton ave DX overpressure with the internal hose and metal venturi mouthpiece, a DW stream air with the stream air nozzle (not a mistral inside), an original West Pico Mistral, and an original Royal MIstral. All of them work.

I think I may try to tune up the 2 stagers tonight as well.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 am

Very cool Ron! I love single stage regs.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:31 am

Here's the money shot after going over all my 2 stage regs. The NONMAG and the RAM both needed low pressure seats. The Navy Type DA and Kraken just needed a tune.

Here's a Navy Type DA, a NONMAG, a round label heavy yoke RAM, and my series 1 Kraken:
IMG_0538.JPG
That's all folks. Everything is ready for 3-5 more years of diving.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am

Me taking a 1960 US Divers "Mistral" out for a spin at Coco View Resort in Honduras in December. The folks there are super vintage friendly!
12-06-2017 Roatan, Coco View Resort.jpg

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Silver slick-skin wetsuit. Check.
Twist-lock beaver tail. Check.
Rounded weights. Check.
Double hose regulator. Check.
No B,C. Check.
Oval face mask. Check.
Full foot fins. Check.
No pressure gauge. Check.
Harness with crotch strap. Check.

Except for the snorkel, boobs, and a missing 100 pounds, I think it's Mike Nelson in drag. :D I'm glad she wasn't in the MN look-alike contest at SHF.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:18 pm

This months project finally completed this weekend. Set of WK 38 CF tanks, hydro'd and stamped, ready for filling. Set of 316 SS 6.9 in. bands with cotton doubles harness from A&D / Allan Klauda.

There are no markings other than "Made in USA" on the cleaned and refurbished manifold. (3/4 ST)

I've had a professional photog friend of mine shoot hi res images of the AMF Swimaster "Target" logo and sent the images to a vinyl decal mfg.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Bronze06 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am
Me taking a 1960 US Divers "Mistral" out for a spin at Coco View Resort in Honduras in December. The folks there are super vintage friendly!
12-06-2017 Roatan, Coco View Resort.jpg
Russ - CoCo V has a great house beach dive right? We were at Anthony’s Key in May and loved it - vintage friendly there as well.
Were you eaten alive by the skeeters? I counted 77 nasty bites that almost ruined my trip.
Fiji next week with the V66!!!!!!

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 am

Cocoview is wonderful and very relaxed. Accommodations were just fine. But remember the source here, my personal view is that "Anything above a hole in the ground is an up-grade." BRING A BUTT LOAD OF BUG JUICE WHEN ANY OF YOU GO TO HONDURAS!!!! Yes, I had forgotten about the myriad "no see ums" down there and got eaten alive right when I arrived. Once I unpacked I brought our the Deep Woods Off and a couple of green containers of good ol' Army bug juice and they left me the hell alone. I came prepared, but didn't remember how bad it could get until I was on site. My old lady cried like a spoiled brat until I hosed her down with evil "DEET"!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Also a quantity of "Chigg-A-Way" is a requirement when in Central America, and my wife REALLY hated that stuff, But, unlike the rest of the guest that were having their ankles and lower legs drilled into by Chiggers, we came out great.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”