Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Voit 50 Fathom

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:34 pm

What did you do with the original cans?

Creed
Master Diver

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:03 pm

I still have them. Not sure if the can change will be permanent.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

usddude
Master Diver

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:49 pm

That bottom can is worth a bit of dough. What about the extra pin hole in the top can? Maybe a different body at one time?

Creed
Master Diver

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

usddude wrote:That bottom can is worth a bit of dough. What about the extra pin hole in the top can? Maybe a different body at one time?
Not sure. The guy I bought it from didn't seem to know anything about it. I assumed that it was a factory hole, since it is chromed on the inside as well.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Wed May 02, 2012 9:14 pm

usddude wrote:That bottom can is worth a bit of dough. What about the extra pin hole in the top can? Maybe a different body at one time?
I have rebuilt a significant number of 50 Fathom regs, and as far as I remember, they all had two holes. By having two holes, the can could be used for various single stage designs.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Yup, that's right, a Voit 50 Fathom VCR-2, 1961 in the chrome. Do we have any source for seat and disk assembly (part 14) out there as well as micro-sized phenolic gaskets (part 11) for the seat? This is a new dingus for me. :?:

Chrome is slightly marred but good. Very shiny in the light.
20170419_183442.jpg
Interior is in good shape. The oft remarked factory "double holed" can.
20170419_183502.jpg

As you can see, our old friend at Professional Scuba Repair had this one in the shop. Most likely the last time it ever got serviced.
20170419_183527.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm

New seats are difficult to come by new but I do have a few. I have a nylon gasket that will replace the phenolic as it was too expensive to re-make them in the original material considering the low demand for the part.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Bryan wrote:New seats are difficult to come by new but I do have a few. I have a nylon gasket that will replace the phenolic as it was too expensive to re-make them in the original material considering the low demand for the part.
Bryan, E-mail sent. Right now the disk and seat assembly is holding air. I am using a 008 oring that is approximately the same diameter as the phenolic gaskets.Granted it is a wee bit thicker, but is under compression two ways. This reg only had the one gasket and it should have two. That said, it is holding air, but I would like to have a disk and seat assembly as a spare for this baby and get a nylon gasket to fill the bill for the "Seat" seal. Thanks for the quick reply.

PS: Is this a "Sea Hunt Forever" certifiable reg?????

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:13 pm

As a temporary fix, I have rebuilt a 1962 "Polaris" up stream body and guts that I will use in the 1961 50 Fathom. The original 1961down stream held only for awhile after re-build at 2600 psi, but the disk assembly (seat) lost its ability to hold back the tide at 2800psi and of course I have yet to get a new disk assembly. It's a good and safe fix for now and breathes and holds well at 3200 psi. I am eventually getting a NOS disk assembly from Bryan when I order some more parts. No rush. Sorry purists!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: Not to worry, my 1959 Blue can Fathom 50 is still kicking with its original guts.

I am guessing that Voit only used the down stream mechanism for a short run ( 1959 to 1961) due to the inherent possiblity of: overpressure causing loss of air through the disk assembly as well as lawsuits or am I mistaken.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 am

Actually, Polaris innards in a chrome 50 Fathom can be considered factory original. When I got my chrome 50 Fathom, I discovered it to have a Polaris mechanism inside. It still had the original gray hoses that had turned brown and rotted, so they were very likely the original hoses. Which also makes it unlikely someone back in 1961 or '62 would have robbed all the parts out of a brand new Polaris to put them into a 50 Fathom can.
It also has a foil sticker on the inside of the can with the serial number: #211XXX.
My theory is that towards the end of 50 Fathom production in 1961, Voit ran out of downstream mechanisms, and substituted upstream Polaris guts until all the 50 Fathom labels were used up, and then just started putting Polaris labels on the regs.
Voit also made substitutions with the Blue 50 Fathoms. When I got what I thought was a V55 Blue 50 Fathom with the upstream mechanism, what it actually had was the internals of a VCR-5 Blue 50 Fathom, but with the label of a V55. Another case of substitution. Early production VCR-5s has a silver "Swimming Diver" label. Voit again probably ran out of the VCR-5 labels, and the last ones made received V55 labels..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:12 am

capn_tucker wrote:Actually, Polaris innards in a chrome 50 Fathom can be considered factory original. When I got my chrome 50 Fathom, I discovered it to have a Polaris mechanism inside. It still had the original gray hoses that had turned brown and rotted, so they were very likely the original hoses. Which also makes it unlikely someone back in 1961 or '62 would have robbed all the parts out of a brand new Polaris to put them into a 50 Fathom can.
It also has a foil sticker on the inside of the can with the serial number: #211XXX.
My theory is that towards the end of 50 Fathom production in 1961, Voit ran out of downstream mechanisms, and substituted upstream Polaris guts until all the 50 Fathom labels were used up, and then just started putting Polaris labels on the regs.
Voit also made substitutions with the Blue 50 Fathoms. When I got what I thought was a V55 Blue 50 Fathom with the upstream mechanism, what it actually had was the internals of a VCR-5 Blue 50 Fathom, but with the label of a V55. Another case of substitution. Early production VCR-5s has a silver "Swimming Diver" label. Voit again probably ran out of the VCR-5 labels, and the last ones made received V55 labels..

I feel relieved. Thanks, Capn' Tucker. I will endeavor to get the original guts up and running, but this is good news.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am

The Voit Polaris is my favorite double hose reg, so I was actually very pleased to find that my chrome 50 Fathom is what amounts to a pre-production Polaris.. :)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”