Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

Da Aquamaster horserhoes

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:13 pm

having taken about a dozen Da's apart, I have noticed several different things. I will focus on the horsehoe.

The horseshoe on the da aquamaster rests on two steel support tits. The manual calls for these tits to be turned approx 35 degrees left and right.

of the dozen i have taken apart, only 3 had this feature done. The rest were left straightened.

So which is correct. Do you need to turn these tits the 35 degrees?

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:56 am

They should be carefully turned per manual. This positively locks the horseshoe teeter totter so it cannot slip and jam. I too have noticed some are left straight. I suspect this is either oversight or people have had bad luck performing the twist. If one is not careful the twist can also jam the lever or cause it's action to be notchy or stiff. The twist should occur aboe the little notch so as to not interfere with the teeter totter action. That is what I do and think and I could be wrong. I doubt the lever would come out if these were not twisted since it is somewhat captured under the LP pin retainer but best to be safe. James

duckbill

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:16 am

My manual calls for 30 degrees.
Tweeking metal back and forth to make adjustments on any equipment has always bothered me. Eventually, the metal will be fatigued and it's strength compromised. So unless replacement supports are readily available you might want to take it as easy as possible. I know a lot of what the manual calls for assumes a ready supply of replacement parts (like cutting off the box clips).

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:09 pm

James it right, there is a correct procedure for twisting them just right. Unless you request it I leave them straight. I have a bid of 1800.00 for the die to re-make the little buggers.....Be careful with them, I won't be making that purchase anytime soon!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:16 pm

James it right, there is a correct procedure for twisting them just right. Unless you request it I leave them straight. I have a bid of 1800.00 for the die to re-make the little buggers.....Be careful with them, I won't be making that purchase anytime soon!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

treasureman
Master Diver

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:09 pm

when i look at the horsehoe that has the two screws with the springs and the lock bar, it seems to be a much better system. Is this transferable to the DA Aqumaster. Looks like the body would take the parts as the cutouts seem to be there. Then again i dont know jack about that particular one as I only just recently saw the drawings of them.

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:43 pm

The screw spacing and location is different and the horse shoes and LP sats are different and not interchangable. I don't bend the supports. It is just about impossible for the horse shoe to come off the supports. If it comes off it is because the nut on the lp seat holder has come off. It is better to lock the nut on the seat holder than to bend the supports.
Captain

treasureman
Master Diver

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:41 am

Is using Loctite red on the LP lock nut an acceptable practise? Or should they be squeeze/staked. Most of mine have been staked when i got them, but that ruins some of the threards and most certainly the nut.

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:20 am

I use a dab of silicone sealer on top of the nut once adjustment is finished. Lock Tite can cause problems with disassembly just like stakeing them can. I prefer stainless lock nuts if you can find them in 6-40 size.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:23 pm

I use Aqua-Seal or neoprene cement. I would not stake the nut/stem unless someone requested it.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”