Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: equalizing a mask w. no nose pincheroo

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:09 am

At the Youtube site, https://youtu.be/06hk5PzoZPo

Iara Mandyn does a fairly good job showing one real equalizing/clearing technique that was used.
She obviously never DH'd much before she made this video. Check tank position, etc. That said, the equalizing technique was used as well as pushing up on the bottom of the mask, or even forcing the mask hard to the face and blowing through the nose. Some divers used nose clips a la' escape apparatus type inside the mask to equalize without having to go through this rigmarole. A foam neoprene pad is definitely something that divers were using "ad hoc" before companies started installing them. Eventually companies and retailers started marketing nose pocketed masks, which were sold as an upgrade and more expensive "Professional" mask type in the 50s. Nowadays all modern masks have equalization pockets. Incidentally, K Mart was selling these Japanese made (Kunigawa) padded masks as late as 1979 for $9.97.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:09 am

I used that mask for many years and loved it. Here is December 1974 at Pearl Lake. All you do is push the mask upward to hold your nose closed and then equalize. That's myself, and my brother underwater. I took the photo with a Kodak Instamatic 104
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't Drown, it will ruin your day!

Bronze06
Master Diver

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:03 am

I always liked the K- Mart masks, they were really good quality. As another member said, " You can't spell quality without a K."
Snobs would turn their noses up at them, but if they actually grew a brain cell or two they would realize that their US Diver or Voit mask might have been made by the same company (Kunigawa) that produced the K-Mart masks. Cool pics Pearl Diver. Oh, by the way you are kind of famous. Wow, Platinum 5000, cool.

On another note, I am surprised no one brought up the problems with nose clips in a mask. You have to remember that the nose clips were designed to allow just enough air to escape the nostrils in order to equalize the mask. They were not meant to totally shut off air leaving the nose. this take a little adjustment of the clips.
The real down side is what happens if the clip falls of inside the mask. :twisted: Yeah, I'd rather just push up on the skirt ,take a neoprene nose pad or or a mask with nose pockets any day.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Masks with neoprene nose pads are still being manufactured by Kinugawa of Japan, trading under the names GULL Marine Sports and AQA when it comes to basic diving gear:
AQA Compa:
http://enjoyscuba.com/the-best/aqagull- ... dive-mask/
AQA Remora:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/b-oc ... nd_item_en
Sadly, as you can see, the top screw has been discontinued on both masks. Gull Marine Sports bucks the trend by continuing to make great traditional basic gear, including all-rubber full-foot fins called Gull Mews in a range of solid colours; I have a white pair which I occasionally use when snorkelling. The company is currently responsible for the manufacture of Biofin Uni Fins, the full-foot version of split-blade Bio Fins. They make other old-school masks and snorkels too.

67macoshark
First Name: Neil

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 pm

I found this article informative. I was not taught different techniques in OW class, Valsalva Maneuver only.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... toEars.pdf

Bronze06
Master Diver

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:06 am

Here is a picture of no other than Hans Hass using his early Drager rebreather in the Sudan in 52. It is across from page 128 (English version) of his book "Under the Red Sea (Unter das Rotes Meer). As you can see, Dr. Hass is using the nose clip in the prescribed fashion of the day.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”