Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

Yokes

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:56 am

I note on the repair manual for the Royal quamster, it shows the reg with a thicker yoke designed for the 3000 psi tanks.

Is this a standard yoke used on the conshelf regs, and are any available. Can they be fitted or retrofitted to the Da Aquamaster.

lastly... i mis posted a article on grease in the Da's. The one i recently inherited from a colleague was loaded with grease which was packed around the Hp stem and the holder for it, all contained by the diaprham. It was so hard packed it was a wonder anything worked.

what are the lube points on the Da's, as the manuals do not indicate any use of lube. Is it like a Glock pistol and runs dry.

Speaking of glocks, the glock 17 is now being used by more florida divers as an anti shark gun than speaguns or bangsticks. I was diving with a colleague about a year ago in Key West, and he brought one along inside his BC. He was licensed to carry. With the maritime cups designed to allow water to travel the length of the firing pin, they are capable of 20 ft ranges. I would imagine that it would be exceptionally loud.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:59 pm

Hey, you can get a heavy yoke from Dan of Vintage Scuba Supply that will work with the DA. The heavy yoke is actually not as wide in the opening as the standard duty long yoke. You can use both on 3000 psi but you will see some stretch when the air is opened up with the standard long yoke. There will be no stretch with the heavy yoke. The heavy yoke will not accomadate a banjo on most valves---darn that. Some valves like older Dacor valves used on aluminum 80s will just barely take the heavy yoke and a Broxton Chuck Banjo but my old USD valves--nada. I have never had a problem with single hose units with similar long yokes at 3000 psi so I feel it is acceptable use. The only time I have had problems is in a cave getting banged against the ceiling I bent the yoke screw and the yoke offset! In normal open water use they should be just fine.

James

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:44 am

In Reference to your grease question (this response is repeated from your other post, but edited):

In general I would only use silicon grease on O-rings and very little at that.
I don’t see the need for any grease in a DA Aqua-Master, since it has no O-rings at all.

In the case of the Royal Aqua Master you do need a little grease for the balancing chamber O-ring. Just wet the O-ring and wipe of any excess.

The first stage and second stage seat holders are the only internal moving parts in the DA and they don’t really need any lubrication. It is my impression that any lubricant (as in silicon spray) in the first stage area can actually cause the seat to leak.

Once I have the first and second stage closed and calibrated, I do use some silicon spray inside the can to slow down corrosion. I also use some silicon spray on some rubber parts.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:08 am

I agree with James on the use of the 3000 PSI yokes.

A separate consideration in reference to 3000 PSI service with a DA Aqua-Master is that since the DA has a non-balance first stage the intermediate pressure at the beginning of the dive will be lower, making it somewhat harder to breathe. I don’t think it will cause any harm to the first stage seat (although I have to think about that one further), but you may find the breathing resistance at the beginning of a dive to be an inconvenience.

In the case of a Royal Aqua-Master, the use of 3000 PSI service is not an issue, since the first stage is balanced
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”