Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Trieste - Second stage seat holder

Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:22 am

Anyone know if this: https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... ry=1964152 works in the Trieste?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Trieste - Second stage seat holder

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:45 pm

rhwestfall wrote:
Anyone know if this: https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... ry=1964152 works in the Trieste?
The Trieste seat holder has a square shaft, but I'll see about slipping one of USD versions in the second stage body to see if ID of the hole will properly guide the round shaft. May be some other modifications needed as well... seems like I may have tried that a long time ago, but I don't recall the results.

I'll report back if anything looks promising.
The older I get the better I was.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:39 pm

I happened to have a Voit seat holder, the nozzle and one of the VDH seats in a drawer. They are the same length and the threads are the same however, the Voit shaft is square. The VDH one will go in the nozzle all be it a bit sloppy but I think it would work OK.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:59 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:45 pm
rhwestfall wrote:
The Trieste seat holder has a square shaft, but I'll see about slipping one of USD versions in the second stage body to see if ID of the hole will properly guide the round shaft. May be some other modifications needed as well... seems like I may have tried that a long time ago, but I don't recall the results.

I'll report back if anything looks promising.
I didn't find a Trieste holder, but the USD round stem fits pretty well in the square opening of the T's second stage body. It would take some experimenting to be sure it would be compatible in actual use. Finding an original would be best, but probably hard to find.

I can loan you a USD one to try out if that would help.
The older I get the better I was.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:20 pm

Is your poppet bad/broken/stripped? It might be fixable. But if it's bad, there're a few things you could do in order to use the USD poppet or another kind.

I'm thinking that the square hole in the Trieste second stage body could be filled with JBWeld and redrilled. The brass at the sides of the square would still be the primary support of the poppet shaft, and the epoxy would fill the gaps in the corners to reduce the leakage around the shaft.

A Conshelf poppet has a larger diameter shaft and the Trieste body could be drilled out to accept it. The poppet would need to be threaded down the shaft farther, and the end cut to length.

A poppet with a square shaft could be made or adapted, if you have access to machine tools (or a machinist).

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:46 am

The Trieste I have appears to be in extremely good condition. I have not yet taken it apart to do a service on it yet. Actually, I am waiting on the second stage diaphragm to see how it is in the "barn fresh" state it is in. When I got it, the second stage diaphragm and duckbill were basically toast, and I just finished cleaning up that mess. I have Bryan's rebuild kit, and a HP seat for it as I get into it.

I was pondering the different seat holder to get the advantage of the ease of adjustment with the slotted end. I'm fairly confident the original is fine....

Thanks for all the comments. I don't see a reason for any modifications at this time.
Bob

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:27 pm

Because the poppet has a square shaft, there's no need for a slotted end.... You can use a nylock nut and forget the nailpolish!

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:05 pm

Until you guys told me it was a square shaft,I didn't know... I haven't taken this one apart yet as I am waiting on the second stage diaphragm to "bench mark" its condition...

I feel stupid now knowing it is fixed....

Oh, and it already has a nylock nut....

I'm curious to see what has been done with this one. I think one of the second stage outlets is actually been tapped...
Bob

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:37 pm

I did not intend to make you feel bad. Things aren't always obvious, esp. if you haven't seen it!

I'd love to see a photo of the maybe mod for an LP tap? I love me a tap.

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:45 am

rhwestfall wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:05 pm
. I haven't taken this one apart yet as I am waiting on the second stage diaphragm to "bench mark" its condition...
Working on it, I promise!

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:08 am

Vancetp wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:37 pm
I did not intend to make you feel bad. Things aren't always obvious, esp. if you haven't seen it!

I'd love to see a photo of the maybe mod for an LP tap? I love me a tap.
Update: Upon actually removing it, it is not tapped. What I likely was seeing at the odd angle and limited view was the spring inside the body reflecting light...
Bob

Vancetp
Master Diver

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:31 pm

No problem. I am always on the look-out for a mod.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”