Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Stuff I found

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Looking through a box of stuff my late father had and came across the following.

Am I correct in assuming the Mu symbol on the DH body is military and/or non-mag? Interestingly there is a long yoke on it. Maybe standard for banjo?

The weight belt buckle is old but actually releases quite well. Note the bolts used as "rivets" on the belt.

Image Image Image Image
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Stuff I found

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:21 pm

The body is non-magnetic. The yoke and the 1st stage are not, they are chromed.

I have seen that buckle commonly used with leather weight belts used with the heavy gear (hard hat divers).
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 am

That buckle is a a military aircraft seat belt and shoulder harness buckle. Also used in race cars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-milita ... SwfadejywD

https://www.lowyusa.com/product/rh-l6768/
Captain

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:24 am

That is cool that your Dad was a diver also.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:49 am

Yes, really great your Dad was a diver. I remember when I was 15 and told my folks I wanted to take lessons to scuba dive, they had a fit. You want to kill yourself? was the reply. We will not take you they said, (nearest dive shop was 12 miles away.) I had to wait till I got my driver’s license at 16. Still alive, folks!!
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:16 pm

Dad was a great guy, a true waterman. Taught swimming in the summers for extra cash. Later in life he was the spitting image of the actor Forrest Tucker of F-Troop fame. So much so that we couldn't go out to dinner without someone asking for his autograph. :)  He always got a kick out of it, mom not so much depending on the youth/cuteness/cleavage of the girl asking for it.

Dad learned to dive by reading the instructon booklet that came with every tank/reg set. He wasn't an instructor but did teach me to dive in 1967 (using all of his gear from the mid to late 1950s). I'm still finding boxes of his stuff in the basement of my 97 year old mom's house. I'll post anything I find of interest.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:10 pm

I am so jealous of "family diving history". My father is terrified of the water, and my mother can barely swim at all. She made sure I could swim, and although we couldn't afford SCUBA lessons in my youth, encouraged me with getting me snorkel stuff from Woolworths for our annual visit to my grandparents in Florida for Easter recess from school in the 70's. Dad lost a friend to a scuba accident before or around the time I was born, so it was "we won't even discuss it" about lessons in his mind. It was a college PE class that gave me the chance.

I have a shirt tail relative (wife's side) who was basically somewhat of a "pioneer" in the dive scene around Rochester, NY (his wife being one of the first women certified in Rochester) as well as he was on the cover of SD when he was working with Mel Fisher in the very early days of his treasure hunting career. Was a real "dive bum" with Florida, Honduras (military career), and Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence River with treasure hunting.

Old family gear is COOL!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:55 pm

When my father taught me how to swim and dive the hardest part was getting out of the burlap bags. The rocks in the bottom were not that much of an issue. I had been diving and working for a little while when I told my mom I was joining the Navy. I still have the straight jacket they put me in first before the burlap bags the second time. The rock hurt this time. If anyone needs to borrow it let me know.

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:56 pm

I

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:58 pm

I have a buckle like that but it was bronze that was for diving and it came on a Kirby Morgan harness if I remember correctly. I have a parachute harness buckle like that one that was not bronze but made out of steel with a galvanized type finish that looks more like the one you have.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 pm

h2operations wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:55 pm
When my father taught me how to swim and dive the hardest part was getting out of the burlap bags. The rocks in the bottom were not that much of an issue. I had been diving and working for a little while when I told my mom I was joining the Navy. I still have the straight jacket they put me in first before the burlap bags the second time. The rock hurt this time. If anyone needs to borrow it let me know.
:)

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:46 pm

While we are sharing get into diving stories, I picked it up 7 years ago at age 35. Went a couple times as a kid in 92, but no money an expensive hobby. My cousin's dad, too crippled for it now, gave him the old equipment from when he got certified in 92. With the gear they let me use in 92 and a garage sale scuba pro that I replaced the piston oring with one from a hydraulic suply store, we started diving. Then my cousin told me about this Phoenix upgrade being sold on a vintage web site, and I ran to my grandpas basement to grab the old DAAM my dad used to use in 75 before I was born. I used to play with it as a kid exploring the depths of the basement. Then I got hooked on seeing what all I could fix and dive. VDH crew is awesome.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu May 13, 2021 11:19 am

simonbeans wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:49 am
Yes, really great your Dad was a diver. I remember when I was 15 and told my folks I wanted to take lessons to scuba dive, they had a fit. You want to kill yourself? was the reply. We will not take you they said, (nearest dive shop was 12 miles away.) I had to wait till I got my driver’s license at 16. Still alive, folks!!
That's the road I traveled. I got the same from my folks. Before I married my first wife she told me no more diving. I replied, "See ya!". Should have left then, would have saved me a lot of grief. Like Allan, I too am still alive. Lol.
Nice find!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”