Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: What to do next?

Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:37 pm

You can download the entire archive. Some of us have done so, JIC.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:14 am

That’s true. We did that on purpose because Bryan wanted every diver to be able to keep the data he or she wanted.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 am

How much does the hosting service cost? Maybe we can just pay that and keep things running?

It's the simplest solution and they always say the simplest solution is usually the right one.

Hostgator advertises hosting service as low as $2.75 per month... I'd be glad to pay for the first whole YEAR if it can be had for prices like that.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:13 pm

I doubt you are going to find a site that will host the forum, and store all of the archives for a price like that. For long...

Don't forget the Photobucket debacle.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:02 pm

I would guess the entire website is about 250 dollars or so a month to host. It would be less without PayPal, ECWID, things like that. The important thing to note as a layperson is this isn't "a web site" in the sense that it is a unitary object. I mean it is to you guys, but it's not to IT people. It's many things. It's hosting, which we pay for. It's a Wordpress application that serves the front page and the style and stuff. It's ECWID which is the cart and the store. It's PayPal for payments. It's PHPBB for the forum. It's a file sharing service. It's many, many things. It just all happens to look like one thing. Kind of like how a person who doesn't know cars thinks a car is a unitary thing, when really a car is an umbrella term for a set of systems. It's a transmission, an engine, a controller area network, an interior, HVAC, etc.

Also it's not ours. It's Bryan Pennington's which makes it his family's until they decide what to do with it. It's not mine to move around or control because I don't own it. It's not my property.

To be fair, I'm also not super read in on what is going on with VDH. I keep it running, but as far as what is going to be done with it, nobody really talks to me about that. If this were a chess board I'd be like a knight. I'm a specialty piece, but I'm not a king, or a queen, or even a rook. So I'm fairly far down the pecking order from being in the know.

My main goal in this thread is to come up with the preferred option in the event the Pennington family elicits feedback from the people who peruse the forum, so I can have a consensus answer to give someone. It appears that most people would like to keep VDH here. That wouldn't be too terribly hard to do if we retooled it and stripped out the store and the payment system and really just made it a front page with a forum and filesharing and such.

Sorry to be long winded but sometimes things are as simple as they can be. :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”