Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Divair Plastic vs Metal

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:34 pm

P.S. Your DivAir looks great!

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Check your company snail mail in a few days, Eben. I've sent you something to make your DivAir stock and OEM accurate! They aren't easy to find, but I did eventually.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Here's the Roberts DivAir diagram/parts list:

ImageDivAir parts by Vancetp, on Flickr

It shows the weird original diaphragm, which is a couple of metal plates with a sheet of rubber squished in between and draping down. I guess the retainer band made a good enough seal. Several people have made diaphragms like the original using the OEM plates and some kind of rubber sheet. I know of a couple that were made out of swim caps.

I tried to once. Mixed results. I also noticed the long fingered lever shown here.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:23 pm

I probably posted these before but I still think they are cool! Diaphragm and hoses by Jeff H.

I took it out for a test dive a few weeks ago. GoPro crapped out on me so no pics at present. Took the reg down to 50 feet of ocean water. It breathes just like my '58 Mistral. Never got any water in the exhaust hose, even head down.

Amazing reg! Hats off to Bill Arpin!

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Thank You Vance!
- I received the authentic DIVAIR fine screens and coarse screen/plate today. VERY NICE!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:35 pm

You are so welcome. These were OEM parts, but a sintered filter will work (better), too. Any one else need some of the fine screens? I have a bunch.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Blue Hoses from Scuba Museum
- I forgot to mention I got my blue hoses from Rob at the Scuba Museum. They are the new production silicone type... Identical to the silicone black, yellow, gray, and green hoses he sell but these are made in blue. He has blue mounthpieces, too... I'm going with the gray one on my DIVAIR so it will look like the blue hose/Hope-Page set up of the original regulator.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”