thomas8294
Diver
First Name: Paul

Red Hose

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 pm

I did search and possibly missed any thread or mention but. . . . . . . is there a reason the original red hoses for the Kraken will no longer be available?

Just wondering as I would love to have a set.

Tom

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Red Hose

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:07 pm

They were on the first series of regulator and I decided to retire the color and keep those regulators that came with them unique. The new black hose loop with the DSV will be the standard from here on out. I don't have any plans to offer the red hoses again.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:59 pm

I may just have to take mine off and only install them on special occasions. I would really hate to not have a set. :)
Herman

couv
Master Diver

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Herman wrote:I may just have to take mine off and only install them on special occasions. I would really hate to not have a set. :)
Same here......into the closet they go.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

thomas8294
Diver
First Name: Paul

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Bryan wrote:They were on the first series of regulator and I decided to retire the color and keep those regulators that came with them unique. The new black hose loop with the DSV will be the standard from here on out. I don't have any plans to offer the red hoses again.
Disappointed BUT I do completely understand the reasoning. Thanks!

That being said. . . . . . .anyone willing to part with a set. . . . . . you know where to find me!

lexvil
Diver
First Name: lex

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:47 am

Would love to see some orange hoses made.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 am

lexvil wrote:Would love to see some orange hoses made.
I'd like to see some blue ones made as well.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:12 am

Bryan wrote:They were on the first series of regulator and I decided to retire the color and keep those regulators that came with them unique. The new black hose loop with the DSV will be the standard from here on out. I don't have any plans to offer the red hoses again.
I guess this means I need to buy a new Kraken and put my red hoses back on my first one. Oh Goody!!!!! Another justification to buy a new Kraken!!!!!! "Honey, I need to buy a new Kraken because my old one is a real collectors item and I don't dare dive it anymore............!!!!!!" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Heh, heh, heh!!!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 am

Any color on the Pantone chart can be made. Unfortunately I have a minimum order of 500 hoses in any given color. So after the 4 or 5 divers buy the special color they wanted I'm left setting on 7K of inventory that no one else wants.
Rob and I have looked many times at blue and black one piece hose assemblies for the early Trademark and Broxton era regulators. After doing numerous surveys and talking with folks it was a money losing proposition all the way around. Simply comes down to supply and demand vis return on investment.
The demand for original configuration replacement parts for double hose regulators has been in decline for a while now and my inventory often reflects that. When I sell X number of yellow hoses this year versus Y number the following year I adjust what I spend accordingly. Same goes for the Phoenix first stage. Sales 10 years ago was massive and I could not keep up. Now I'm at the point of low volume and constantly looking for ways to get the price down so I can attract new buyers.
VDH Is branching out and selling modern gear I never would have considered stocking 5 or 6 years ago....But it is the only way to keep the door open and the lights on. Competition in the market for modern stuff is cutthroat to put it nicely and price is everything. And then you waste a lot of time defending your reputation on other message forums where keyboard commandos post that the stuff you sell is dangerous crap.......More than once I've considered doing a fire sale and walking away as the aggravation, stupidity and BS quickly drain the fun and what little profit there is for me.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

lexvil
Diver
First Name: lex

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:57 am

Ok, I'll buy three sets of orange hoses!
I can only imagine how hard it is to compete with the big guns today and numbnuts like the hose age guy are sadly to often encountered by our churned out divers today. While I like the fire sale idea I don't even want to think of your going out of business, I like the source of parts that are already at bargain prices.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 pm

I can attest to Bryan's thoughts. Case in point: I sell a few labels each year, not many to even make a side business. I just find it fun. However, I get an inquiry for this or that or even a custom job. But you have to buy a minimum number to just sell ONE!!! Same with the band for doubles everybody was hot over a few years ago when Peanut King's dried up. So I invested in the minimum number and maybe I have my money back, but sure as hell have not made any profit. The wholesaler is the guy who makes the money. The retailer has to sell a bunch in order to make any money. But offering to buy 3 doesn't make up for the total quantity needed to even get the 3. Thankfully for my tiny business that I have some very great customers who keep me still making the harnesses, labels, etc. Actually what is needed is more VINTAGE events like Sea Hunt Forever. That way I can justify the various stock items that are needed for the events.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Dangit. Ive been wondering the same question about the disappearance of red. But, unlike the rest of my generation, I do understand suply and demand. Would it be any more economical to do differend colors of hose gators, or same ordering problem? Red gators to match the arms on my mostly dry suit, or leave them off to match the wetsuit.

Douchebag
Master Diver

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 pm
I can attest to Bryan's thoughts. Case in point: I sell a few labels each year, not many to even make a side business. I just find it fun.
I call BS. If you did then you would give them away. Like I did! Like I did with a lot of my plating. Because it was fun. You saw what I did and tried to capitalize on it. Plain and simple. I don't have a minimum I have to "buy" to resell. I make my own so I can literally do a one off. Why would I do that? Because it was fun.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:40 pm

You seem to throw around you idea of BS. But, the truth is, my "business" does not rely on the sale of labels. I make harnesses, supply bands and sometimes sell some vintage stuff that has accumulated. To refresh your memory, you made the labels for VDH first. My partner saw them was impressed and looked to see if he could have them made in his area. He did, showed me and I then contacted VDH and proposed my idea of selling labels to which, I understand, you were acceptable to my project. Obviously, not actually seeing yours, the quality is probably better than mine, however there appeared to be a need by many for labels for the numerous regulators made over the decades. We made up many different models, all of which are made production-wise by a manufacturing company. They will only make them in a minimum quantity of 3 of one model. I buy them wholesale, and then retail them on my website. Yes, it is fun to sell them as they go all over the USA, Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia. I buy them. I do not have your apparent talent to make them myself. So it is bad to made a few dollars on a wanted product? Does VDH, VSS or the many dealers, some as small as my business, who all, I am sure, find the selling fun? I have never been described as a philanthropist, but my accountant/tax man considers me generous when he sees the income vs outgo ledger. Sorry to apparently offend you, as I am sure Chevrolet, Toyota, et. al., do to Ford.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Douchebag
Master Diver

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Bit of a history rewrite there. But no offense taken.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”