MannyRevilla
First Name: Manuel

What would you include in a Kraken save-a-dive kit?

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 pm

My question is: When travelling by airplane with strict weight and size limits, what would you consider the absolute minimum to take with you by way of an Argonaut Kraken themed save-a-dive kit?

I realize that spare parts for a specific wing, flashlight, etc. will be unique to each individual, so I wish to concentrate on the Argonaut Kraken to provide a common thread to any suggested lists. (By way of an example, perhaps I should purchase and pack a spare hose clamp?)

Thanks,

Manny

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: What would you include in a Kraken save-a-dive kit?

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 pm

I tend to carry a spare parts/tool kit that somewhat resembles a miniture service bench. :) Hard to get spare parts are actually fairly few since most of the internal parts are the same as almost any USD/AL reg made in the last 45-50 years and if you really need something, any AL shop should have them. That said, I would include a couple of LP orifice orings, an exhaust mushroom valve, a LP seat and several 6-8 inch wire ties (hose clamp substitutes). In your tools, include an allan wrench that fits the can scews and one that fits the second stage retainer screws.
In a delux kit I would include a complete crown block(aka balance chamber), mouthpiece mushroom valves and a HP seat plus a nozzle assembly tool in the tool kit. And if you don't have one, an IP guage should be in your tools as well.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Herman wrote:I tend to carry a spare parts/tool kit that somewhat resembles a miniture service bench. :) Hard to get spare parts are actually fairly few since most of the internal parts are the same as almost any USD/AL reg made in the last 45-50 years and if you really need something, any AL shop should have them. That said, I would include a couple of LP orifice orings, an exhaust mushroom valve, a LP seat and several 6-8 inch wire ties (hose clamp substitutes). In your tools, include an allan wrench that fits the can scews and one that fits the second stage retainer screws.
In a delux kit I would include a complete crown block(aka balance chamber), mouthpiece mushroom valves and a HP seat plus a nozzle assembly tool in the tool kit. And if you don't have one, an IP guage should be in your tools as well.
Golly, and here I was thinking "spare mouthpiece", what more could one need? :shock: Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

MannyRevilla
First Name: Manuel

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Thank you for your help.

I already have various tools and O-rings in several sizes. I do check my pressure with a tiny/portable gauge that attaches to the BCD inflator hose's quick disconnect so hopefully that will suffice?

Based on your comments, and wanting to use VDH as my source, would it be correct to order:

Listed in the Kraken section:
SKU low pressure seat blue
SKU VO O-ring
SKU Argonaut body to can O-ring
SKU Argonaut LP volcano O-rings
SKU sping block balance chamber
SKU spare valve duck bill eliminator

Listed in the double house section:
SKU MV (mouthpiece valve)
SKU IWW (improved wagon wheels)

and these just because I like using them:
SKU AK thumb screws
SKU thread caps

Am I missing anything? Also, is there anything listed above that is not really recommended for my air travel sized Kraken save-a-dive kit?

Thank you.

Manny

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:47 pm

I don't see the need for a body oring...if you damage that, you are likely to have bigger issues (bad can). Same goes for the wagon wheel, you would have to work pretty hard to distroy one, I would just go with the mushroom valve or at most one compelete wagon wheel assembly.
For my at home, go by car spares kit, I carry a complete set of most all the parts and tools plus a set of hoses.
Some additional tools you should consider if you are taking the spring block and HP seat (which is not on your list) are a GOOD set of circlip pliers and a nozzle assembly tool. If you are going to carry the HP stage parts, you need those tools to disammble/reassmeble it.

The IP gauge is fine, that is what I carry in my travel kit.
Herman

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”