Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: New Argonaut Kraken Owners Post

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Sept 20, 2018 Water was 80 F. Used a modern SEAC Diablo BC and it actually worked out okay, due to the extra length of the EPDM hoses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:19 am

Had a nice little video showing me diving my new Kraken with the VDH back plate at Clear Lake Resort. But my Chinese copied gopro, which works better than the gopro, messed up the video so bad I couldnt even get a screen shot. So this is me taking a picture of the computer screen with my cellphone. Ron, my computer said 45 degrees, but it lies. Im guessing maybe 41.Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Man that's cold. That's I won't wear a wetsuit cold. Viz looks wonderful though :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:30 pm

you might appreciate the VDH plate more if you wear it instead of carry it..... :lol:
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Chris
Master Diver

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:40 pm

rhwestfall wrote:you might appreciate the VDH plate more if you wear it instead of carry it..... Image
I didn't want anyone to see my can placement was too high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 pm

folks are just too damn judgmental... have fun in what you are doing. One should make the effort to understand it, but enjoy it.

(maybe it is the engineer in me)
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

mdw
Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:02 pm

I took my new Kraken out for a spin on New Year's Eve (during the day), just a week or so after it arrived in the mail. It worked very well even though I had the can way too high on my back. I have revised my harness setup since, so the can should now hit my shoulder blades as it is supposed to.
Video of New Year's dive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9mg4iYpsT8
<iframe width="987" height="732" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a9mg4iYpsT8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 am

So when I ordered by Kraken, I of course had to order the mouthpiece pin. I knew it would go on my motorcycle jacket, I just couldn't decide where I wanted to poke a hole. Then I remembered my box of scraps from making myself left handed holsters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Took my Kraken out for a spin on a deeper lobster reef (around 75') this morning. No ledges to bang my cans on, just low ridges and pot holes filled with bugs. Haven't had the old Kraken out for a few months but it performed flawlessly (what else). I did a quick IP check this morning and it locked up at 128psi which seemed a tad low. Last time I set IP at 135. May open her up this afternoon and see what's what. Except for the main spring, all parts are still original from 2014. Man, I love this reg! Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm sure you were too busy eating lobster after the dive but put your just dived Kraken on a full cylinder and check the IP again. I have noticed a slight change in IP after the HP diaphragm stretches it's legs a bit.

There is no such thing as a regulator that can go 5 years without service......Didn't your LDS tell you that!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Bryan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:29 pm
I'm sure you were too busy eating lobster after the dive but put your just dived Kraken on a full cylinder and check the IP again. I have noticed a slight change in IP after the HP diaphragm stretches it's legs a bit.

There is no such thing as a regulator that can go 5 years without service......Didn't your LDS tell you that!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
My local dive shop has never met Mr. Kraken. :)

Put the Kraken on a full tank. Still locks up at 128psi IP. Still breathed great. I'll play around with adjusting it some. Used my old Suunto ML too. M

P.S. My cans are a little wonky off-center to accommodate my spg hose. Probably need to work out an adapter to raise the HP hose a tad.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Kraken DD3 is biding it's time waiting for ice diving.... Unless I get an opportunity to get up to Fortune Pond.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:22 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:39 pm
Took my Kraken out for a spin on a deeper lobster reef (around 75') this morning. No ledges to bang my cans on, just low ridges and pot holes filled with bugs. Haven't had the old Kraken out for a few months but it performed flawlessly (what else). I did a quick IP check this morning and it locked up at 128psi which seemed a tad low. Last time I set IP at 135. May open her up this afternoon and see what's what. Except for the main spring, all parts are still original from 2014. Man, I love this reg! Mark
I would not worry about the IP at 128. I have been running some of my Kraken between 125 and 130 psi. Because of the short main IP spring they tend to be more stable in that range.

If it is breathing good, with a cracking efforts of less than 1 inWC, then the higher IP is really not needed. The second stage on a double hose has so good mechanical advantage, that you don't really need the higher IP of 135 to 145 psi (that you would need for a single hose second stage).

As the intermediate pressure diaphragm compressed with time, the IP tends to go down a bit (around 5 psi is normal).

Opening the case to check for corrosion is a good regular maintenance thing, but I probably would not do much else.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:44 pm

That's sort of what I figgured Luis. Thanks for the reply. The older I get the more "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach I take. Mark

P.S. Inside the cans looks like the day it came off the assembly line - very clean, no corrosion - .... Don't tell him, but whoever designed this thing knew what they were doing. Ok, back to making tacos for dinner. :)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 pm

I took my trusty Kraken out for a 75 minute dive off the beach this morning here in Laguna. Water is warm and vis was 25'+. Wish I had my GoPro with me as 4 dolphins played with me and thought it great fun to stick their snouts through the hose loop and pull my mouthpiece out of my mouth. That lasted about 10 min then they grew bored and swam off. Little s**t heads.

Kraken kicken back after my dive.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”