Do not like
26%

Total votes: 27
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Argonaut Kraken Hose Color

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 pm

Thinking of adding a new color option for the Kraken...Please vote above!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Re: Argonaut Kraken Hose Color

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Those are pretty bad-ass, for sure :!:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Creed
Master Diver

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:57 am

I like them, but I think I'd still go with a yellow or black hose assembly for my primary configuration.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:52 am

I think it's a great idea from a branding perspective, Bryan. I agree with Fred that the color is pretty "Bad Ass" and stands out from other regs. Someone new to double hose diving might like having their "Kracken" being noticed. It's visually a different look and some people like standing out in the crowd 8) .
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:58 am

Yikes!
But I think it makes for a very distinctive looking regulator. I was taken back at first but now it has grown on me. Yep, I like it.

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:17 am

I think that brighter one is the way to go too. The more medium red swatch is too uncommitted. If you're going red, I think it's an all-in proposition, and the bright red jives perfectly with the aggressive Kracken graphic. Really is an eye-catcher and makes a statement that "HEY, this is something different, and you may not be able to handle it! 8)
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:42 am

A little background info

When we were in Cozumel Herman said something to the effect " wonder what it would look like with red hoses?" So I thought about it for a while and finally convinced the hose mfg to make a couple sets. The Kraken red is actually Porsche Guards Red which has a lot of orange in it. I chose that color specifically because it was not a true red like HOG and Hollis gear is doing and I thought it would give it a unique look.

I think dive gear should come in BLACK and that's it.....When the hoses got here a few days ago I didn't like them at all... So I put them on the regulator and propped it up just like you see in the picture and worked around it for a few days and I'll admit it grew on me and I really like them now.

When Luis and I started working on the Argonaut project we never set out to copy the original double hose. We always said it had to stand on it's own merits and I believe it does! Since it's new there is no need for it to follow previously established guidelines...i.e. 1959 has to have blue tag, yellow hose yellow mouthpiece, yellow hose on sticker label Jet Air etc.
The Argonaut is a work in progress and there are many more original and unique ideas on the way.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I think gray with the black mouthpiece would look great, but I guess I am little conservative on colors. I'm waiting for the red to grow on me a little, but I think it might be a nice option to have available. There is no doubt that it will attract a lot of attention, and there is something to be said for that. :)

The Argonaut regulator is terrific looking, and I am really proud of you guys for creating it and bringing such a new and exciting development to the diving industry! :D :D :D
The older I get the better I was.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:34 pm

As most of you know me as the "grumpy old guy" who is dedicated to preserving the "classic" vintage diving and using equipment or repros of that era, the red of the hoses and the red of the label were at first a "oh my God" thought. But, and here is where most of us need to consider, let the image savor for a while. Consider what the Argonaut is and realize it is a MODERN double hose. I finally have come to realize its importance to the diving world, so now I can say, "hell yes, RED works"!!
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 pm

:lol:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 pm

It's not that I don't like it. I do. But I'm going to stick with black.

I've had a Stellars Sea Lion take off with one of my yellow lift bags, so I'm a little nervous about diving yellow hoses, not sure I want to tempt fate with anything that might excite the sea life any more than that.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm

I like....... 8)

kiwidiver
Lung Diver
First Name: jeremy

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Absolutely should do the red, looks great.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:46 pm

seeing I just ordered a red wing (Oxy M-V) for my Kraken, I think its a "must have"....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm

simonbeans wrote:As most of you know me as the "grumpy old guy" who is dedicated to preserving the "classic" vintage diving and using equipment or repros of that era, the red of the hoses and the red of the label were at first a "oh my God" thought. But, and here is where most of us need to consider, let the image savor for a while. Consider what the Argonaut is and realize it is a MODERN double hose. I finally have come to realize its importance to the diving world, so now I can say, "hell yes, RED works"!!
Time stood still for a moment when I read this post :lol:

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”