Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Re: Argonaut Kraken Crowdfunding Campaign is LIVE

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:04 am

Nemrod wrote:I am happy that this has gone so well for vdh, I think the response has been genuine and telling.

When I was in Cozumel one of the hotel guests, made a comment, and he was being friendly, not an axx but while I was wating to get under the shower head after a beach dive, he quipped, shouldn't you have an antique camera to go with your antique gear. So, me actually being a smart axx (not really, but only kinda :mrgreen: ) asked him exactly which part of my rig was antique, suddenly, he froze, his eyes got big as he looked me over and before he could say anything, I said "and by the way, the regulator is brand new manufacture Argonaut" and his eyes got bigger. So I starting listing off, brand new Atomic mask, brand new Aeris fins, brand new Oxy wing, so, in a little bit he gave up trying to find something antique on my rig and I am sure wandered off to get further drunk.

Just an aside, you guys do realize that most people go on dive vacations to get drunk, diving is just what they do between being drunk, hung over and usually barfing on the boat :shock:

So anyways, as Ron has said so eloquently, I too can go SCUBA diving on the most snoodiest of Florida Keys dive boats and be the most modern guy on the boat :D .

And while I dive to explore the underwater world, you know, the drool factor that this Argonaut brings to my rig is worth a pound of gold. Dang, Bryan should charge more for that alone.

Nem

Well put Nemrod!! The drool factor alone is outstanding. I'm looking forward to diving the Argonaut/Kraken. It blends the old with the new and makes a great statement. It's been a while since I saw a drunk on a boat in KW or any of the keys. But I do remember seeing a few in the early 70's and early 80's.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

I agree with what you said James. I don't ultimately care what individuals think, but I would like to see our niche of diving continue to grow. I have been diving solo for a while, which is a bummer. Anna will dive with me when we do something new or something in the ocean, but she is pretty tired of the springs. These days, when I dive vintage I go it alone. It's still fun, but it is kind of a bummer. I kind of miss the social aspect of diving. I am hoping that this spawns more dive buddies. Maybe, we could even end up with some sort of buddy finder or something.

I am glad that this is the spitting image of an older doublehose though. when I dive a 70's single hose, nobody ever notices. It looks like a regulator. Heck, the Conshelf XIV is still made for the Navy and Army, or at least it was a few years ago. I like that this new technology still keeps the essence of the doublehose. I am hoping that this thing catches on like wildfire. It would be nice to see the doublehose take off. There is no practical reason why it shouldn't. It is no different than choosing to use a 7 foot primary instead of a conventional regulator setup. All of these differing setups have their benefits and drawbacks. I think that a well tuned doublehose is the most pleasant way to dive. Hopefully, if enough people dive the new school ones, then the vintage ones won't seem like a "tiny rebreather" anymore, and we can get more people interested in those too.

Tech diving is the same way. I have been wanting to do the U-2513 for a long time. I even have tables and stuff cut for it that have been sitting in my log book for about two years. I can't find anyone who will invest the time, practice, and money to do it. Anna thinks I am nuts for wanting to do that dive.

Maybe someone will roger up and we can do it with Krakens.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Robohips77
Master Diver

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:00 pm

From the looks of the success of Crowdfunding maybe you should open some more slots as I know of more people that are interested at the higher levels. Just my opinion but maybe Crowdfunding won't let you. Congrats as you now you have the base to kick it off.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Maybe someone will roger up and we can do it with Krakens.[/quote]

Did you say Roger. I think the U 2315 is a young mans wreck!! but I will be there in spirit with you Brother :D
slonda828 wrote:I agree with what you said James. I don't ultimately care what individuals think, but I would like to see our niche of diving continue to grow. I have been diving solo for a while, which is a bummer. Anna will dive with me when we do something new or something in the ocean, but she is pretty tired of the springs. These days, when I dive vintage I go it alone. It's still fun, but it is kind of a bummer. I kind of miss the social aspect of diving. I am hoping that this spawns more dive buddies. Maybe, we could even end up with some sort of buddy finder or something.

I am glad that this is the spitting image of an older doublehose though. when I dive a 70's single hose, nobody ever notices. It looks like a regulator. Heck, the Conshelf XIV is still made for the Navy and Army, or at least it was a few years ago. I like that this new technology still keeps the essence of the doublehose. I am hoping that this thing catches on like wildfire. It would be nice to see the doublehose take off. There is no practical reason why it shouldn't. It is no different than choosing to use a 7 foot primary instead of a conventional regulator setup. All of these differing setups have their benefits and drawbacks. I think that a well tuned doublehose is the most pleasant way to dive. Hopefully, if enough people dive the new school ones, then the vintage ones won't seem like a "tiny rebreather" anymore, and we can get more people interested in those too.

Tech diving is the same way. I have been wanting to do the U-2513 for a long time. I even have tables and stuff cut for it that have been sitting in my log book for about two years. I can't find anyone who will invest the time, practice, and money to do it. Anna thinks I am nuts for wanting to do that dive.

Maybe someone will roger up and we can do it with Krakens.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 pm

Wow, I am so excited for this result. Congrats, now get crack'n, uh, or is it Kraken :D

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Robohips77 wrote:From the looks of the success of Crowdfunding maybe you should open some more slots as I know of more people that are interested at the higher levels. Just my opinion but maybe Crowdfunding won't let you. Congrats as you now you have the base to kick it off.
I would love more funding :D but at this point I feel comfortable that I will be able to deliver everything on schedule and I don't want to overextend myself.

There is still a lot of cat hearding to be done behind the scenes before it is all over. The campaign does not end till February 8th and I dont get a dime for about two weeks after that.
There are 2 or 3 other new items still in the works and more get added daily. Plus the daily business of Phoenix installs, rebuilds etc it just doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

I do have another Kraken surprise coming in the next couple of days so stay tuned!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 pm

Will the Kraken shirts be available later? I have a friend who is not into vintage diving(yet) but wanted a shirt. And I'm not giving him mine....
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 pm

In honor of the kraken someone should train up with me to do a crazy deep mixed gas dive. It would be cool to take this thing to 180-200 feet on mix. Then we could eat seafood, smoke Gauloises, and drink with red watch caps on.

Nothing tests the validity of your amazing new product like something crazy and adventurous. JYC taught me that. I am being totally serious though.

Also, in the interest of not derailing this thread...22,900 bucks raised on Fundable! Zut alors!

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm

I already talked to an instructor to do my tri-mix in the St Lawrence area with my Argonaut. I was going to do it last year, but our schedule didn't work out.

This year is not looking good at all, from a schedule stand point.

The final dive will be to a wreck in 200 ft. I personally don't consider this "crazy deep" if I am using tri-mix and plan the dive/ deco appropriately. I am also very comfortable with the regulator.

The instructor was actually looking forward to dive with me with a DH. He is actually interesting on getting one.

Back to the fund raising... I am glad to see that all the offered regulators are spoken for. :)
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Luis,

Based upon your experience, and the number of times that I have already been diving with you, I would do a 200 foot wreck with krakens if we could ever get our schedules to line up. Maybe we could plan it far out in advance. That would give us both time to plan and get all the pieces together. It would also serve as further proof of the doublehose as the original technical regulator, as well as pushing the kraken to an even deeper real world limit for depth and complexity.

Automan
Lung Diver
First Name: Ian

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:44 am

I only noticed this yesterday when looking for a mouth piece for my latest twin hose, a Snark III.

I have about nine twin hose demand valves with over half of them working.

Only the lesser fundraising options left so I went for one of the $100.

Eight left now.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”