Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Pin length

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:00 pm

We have discussed this topic before but over the last few weeks whilst playing with two of the Krakens, my Phoenix units and the new Cyclone I rediscovered something I seem to run into from time to time. Over the years USD varied the shape of the pin end, the button/mushroom receiving pocket and as well, apparently, the depth of the hole in the HP seat that engages the pin.

So, if you are changing out parts at some point on your Phoenix or Cyclone or standard RAM nozzle, please check that the parts stack up still gives an approximate .040 gap from mushroom to body. (Trident HP seats, various generations of USD seats and the current AL blue seat)

If the gap is too large, it is possible to have the components bottom and bind and actually extrude the innards pushing the sintered filter retaining clip out of the groove. I suppose it possible to buckle the pin.

If the gap is too small, it is possible to have reduced flow capacity which might not be evident until at depth or a high demand required by the diver.

You do not need to obsess over a few thou but it needs to be set in the range for which it was designed to operate.

Nem

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”