rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Argonaut News and Update

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:38 am

any thoughts on how far the yoke can be backed off and still be adequate?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:03 pm

I recommend all the threads to be engaged. The yoke has five full threads. You don't need all 5 threads to develop full strength, but you should engage them.

As long as you can see some of the regulator's thread, you are OK.

See the picture below:

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks. That was what I thought, and what seems to work.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Okay, upon reflection, I went back and checked my Thermo valves. I had recalled overnight that one of them had poor machining and some extra flashing and that I had issues with it before on other regulator yokes. The Argonaut yoke will in fact fit on the Thermo Pro brand 230 Bar DIN convertible valve. It is tight but so is my Titan, my SP G260, R109/MkV and everything else. The best fit is actually an old Conshelf yoke. What were those people thinking, they need to taper the backside of the valve.

In order to install, simply spin the Argonaut yoke out to where it would rest if the circle clip were installed and it will slip right over dandy:

Full thread engagement is still there and all is good.

Nem

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:03 pm

I have some of Dive Rite's first manifolds for the 3500 psi PST tanks 7/8 neck.
They are just 200 bar valves with the 7/8 threads.
The Argonaut yoke will not fit over them.
I use a yoke off a SEA series reg. with a yoke nut.( the VDH yoke nuts(4) I have will not screw on the Kraken or one of my Phoenix)
005_crop.jpg
I also added the Kraken pin to the knob
001_crop.jpg
I don't have my 200 bar Dive Rite's here they are being filled but here is a picture of the reg on a tank with a Dive Rite 300 bar valve that has been turned down 3/16" to allow the yoke to pass over it and allow the reg to seat on the din adapter.
007_crop.jpg

Thanks
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:52 pm

2THDIVR wrote:.( the VDH yoke nuts(4) I have will not screw on the Kraken or one of my Phoenix)

Thanks
Scott
I dont get it?
20140713_162850.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Maybe we need to move this thread to another thread inside the Modern Era Forum?

This cirumstance is not specific to the Argonaut but to any yoke regulator and may end up confusing people with non-important esoteric details that a lot of us, me included, like to get into but which have nothing specific to do with the Argonaut.

I am interested in learning more about valves, DIN, yokes adapters, the various engineering standards, just not in this thread.

For example, from Divegear Express:

"Does a yoke adapter insert exist for my 300 bar valve? No. An adapter insert does not exist, and even if it were made, we have never seen a yoke clamp long enough to fit over the 300 bar SCUBA valve. There is a yoke-to-din fill adapter device for 300 bar valves, but it is strictly for filling only."

So, I vote to move DIN/Yoke engineering discussions to a new thread in the Modern Era Forum to get this one back on track.

James

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:37 pm

DONE.....Go here

DIN Yoke Discussion

posting.php?mode=post&f=41
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 am

Spoke with the machine shop today and they are ready to run more Argonaut Kraken bodies.... As soon as I have a confirmation date I will open up orders for them in the website store. If all goes as planned you could be celebrating Thanksgiving with your new Argonaut!

menemsha1968
Skin Diver
First Name: Dean

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Bryan,

What's the likelihood of the Argonaut Kraken being offered with metal cans or a 300 bar DIN tank interface?

menemsha1968
Skin Diver

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Bryan,

What's the likelihood of the Argonaut Kraken being offered with metal cans or a 300 bar DIN tank interface?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Not Bryan but metal cans are not an option. The cost to produce them makes them out of the question. Now, if you just have to have metal cans, the main body is backwards compatable with the old USD/Voit cans so you do have the option of restoring old cans and using them. As for a DIN, the older model AL Titan DIN fitting will work....but your best bet is just to use yoke valves. Contrary to what many believe, there is no good reason to use DIN, the disadvantages far outweigh the few advantages it has.
Herman

menemsha1968
Skin Diver

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:15 pm

I do have metal cans that I could do that with. Would there be any difference in the breathing performance between the USD cans and the plastic Kraken cans? I would think that they would perform the same.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:34 pm

I designed the plastic cans to have a more even flow interface with the venturi nozzle and therefore the venturi flow is better and more predictable than with the metal cans. The cracking effort would be the same, but the over all breathing performance is better with the plastic cans. The difference in noticeable.

The metal cans have a rectangular section at the base of the horns. That was just one of the trade-offs they had to make due to the difficulties in manufacturing metal cans.

The exhaust valve and flow passage is also far superior in the plastic cans. This is also a noticeable breathing performance improvement.

There are a number of other advantages with the plastic cans. The shape of the can is designed to take the least amount of space and tries to minimize interference with back-packs and BC bladders or BC wings.

I like the looks of the metal cans, but the flexibility of molding a plastic can allowed me to designed a far superior geometry. For example, the wall thickness on the plastic can changes to provide more material on higher stress areas and to provide different geometry on the inside versus the outside. The metal cans were stamped out of a uniform thickness plate and it is much more difficult to create compound curves with a metal plate.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Just to sumerize, you can install the Kraken main parts into old cans if you like, it is fairly simple to do and is totally reversable, no modification has to be done to either parts. The performance will not be as good but it will work fine. As a matter of fact, as part of the prototype process, a number of us dove AK main body parts in "borrowed" metal (DA/RAM) cans to test out the main body parts before the plastic cans were produced. One of my Phoenixs was canless for almost a year during tesing. That said, you will have to buy the AK complete so you will already have the plastic cans and since they do perform better and look cooler to boot, there is no good reason to do so.
Herman

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”