sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Phoenix - HPR dive in Alaska

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Well,

First let me say that the Pheonix/HPR out-performed my camera. Becuase God knows it wasn't the photographer....

Anyway, I had the day off yesterday and so did a couple of friends. Brady and I have been playing around with the wrecks up here for years, and although I've tried to get him to dive one if his DA Aqua Masters, he still prefers to dive with his modern Mk 10. I was was doing Daddy daycare, so Steve came along to watch the kids and help us on the boat.

We got the kids and gear loaded and headed out at about 10am:

It was a lovely day in Sitka: Calm winds and flat seas.

This boat sank last spring after to owner got sloshed and tried to play slalom with a few rock piles.

Brady came for the portholes:

And I came for this:

We spent two solid dives getting the booty, but when it was all said and done, I think we did OK for a couple of small town pirates:

Brady got all 6 portholes off the boat, and I came home with another ships wheel. Steve got the lead cannon balls and has already sold one. The bar I'm holding in the pic is a lead ballast bar. We have to go back and get the rest if anyone wants to come up for some winter fun.

Overall, this is one of the more fun dives I've had recently. I dove the Pheonix/HPR last week, but it was a quick dive since I was working on someone's anchor chains and dock. These wreck dives are purely for fun, and I think we made the most of it.

I do appreciate the HPR 2nd stage... Makes a world of differnce on my PRAM. Even working and breathing hard it just works smooth and effortless.

Oh, and the VDH mask is a winner: Fits like a glove, even on my scandahovian knogin.

Now, to fix the strobe on my camera...

Most of my pics are way too dark...

But here's the final haul:

Thanks again Bryan and Luis. You have made a great product.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Pheonix - HPR dive in Alaska

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:22 am

Great dive, nice haul. I am a brass collector myself and collect a porthole once and a while. The wheel is very cool. A friend has a similar one set up with the helm in his living room. I would like to find one myself.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Pheonix - HPR dive in Alaska

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 pm

- What a great story and pictures. My "matched" set of fishing boat anchors looks pretty lame compared to your portholes and ships wheel! Nice to have a remembrance of an adventure!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”