luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

This really scares me, please read

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I got a call from someone that was having trouble with the length of the pin in his Phoenix when he tried to install it. He asked me if I could help him. I agree to take a look at it so he mailed it to me.

This is what I found when I unscrewed his Phoenix. Now I have inspect all the internal parts to see what else got damaged.

Please do not do this to your regulator. If you are not absolutely sure of what you are doing or if you have any questions please send it to Bryan.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: This really scares me, please read

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:22 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: And what's with all the grease....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

phsdive
Vintage Diver
First Name: Philip

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks Luis for the warning. I recently received my phoenix from Bryan and the pin length was the same as recommended on this site; and the pin support did not quite bottom out when depressed. Fitted it to my RAM and worked perfectly. Used it on a few dives including one to a wreck in 140'. Easy to breath. I didn't trim the pin - do some require trimming and some not?

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Did he recall how he attempted to install it? One way I can think of this happening is if it was installed right side up, with the pad and pin falling toward the diaphragm, then the Phoenix slowly bending it while being screwed in place. But yeah, that is scary.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 pm

He never trimmed the pin before he tried to install it.

When I received the regulator I notice the small spring and the washer next to the filter were not installed either.

I just opened it and found that the O-ring and back-up ring in the balancing chamber were not installed either. The only good thing is that he could not have been able to even try it for diving since it wasn’t going to hold pressure.

Well, actually a couple of the port O-ring were pop-out/ extruded because he actually tried to put it on a tank and tried to pressurize it.

He also applied a lot of silicone grease all over the inside…
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:16 pm

phsdive wrote:Thanks Luis for the warning. I recently received my phoenix from Bryan and the pin length was the same as recommended on this site; and the pin support did not quite bottom out when depressed. Fitted it to my RAM and worked perfectly. Used it on a few dives including one to a wreck in 140'. Easy to breath. I didn't trim the pin - do some require trimming and some not?
I sent yours ready to go.....As I will all others in the future after seeing this.

There is no standard size pin that will work in the Phoenix so a standard size has to be trimmed down to fit.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:09 am

Wow, hmmm, OK. Not meaning to make fun of anyone but that is just plain scary.

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 am

Nemrod wrote:Wow, hmmm, OK. Not meaning to make fun of anyone but that is just plain scary.

Nem
Luis and I get a ration of S**T because a waiver is required to purchase a Phoenix nozzle.....Not because of James...but some well meaning regulator repair/assembly experts should look at taking up golf :)

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”