swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

HPR in action, first blush

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:03 pm

I got to try my P.R.A.M. type 1, HPR, DBE equipt today at Long Lake, Dundee Wisconsin.

Now that’s a mouth full! I set up the HPR so the venturi boost would be minimal, not wanting a free flow on the first dive. I haven’t put the reg on the magnehelic since the installation of the HPR, so I don’t have any numbers to substantiate what I was feeling, but the reg was working as well of better then a well tuned Royal. The DBE was very smooth as well.
I did bring my camera along to try and get some action shots, but the viz was pretty tight. I didn’t get too much in the way of results.

I’m really liking this so far. For the next dive I’ll bump up the venturi a little and see what it’s like. Stay tuned.

cloudflint
Skin Diver
First Name: jake

Re: HPR in action, first blush

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Looks like you have pretty much the ultimate twin-hose setup there!

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Great photos and a nice looking set-up.

Since you're the first to post about the HPR I think you deserve a prize. :D
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks Jim!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 pm

By the way Bryan, that's one da*n fine mask! http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/index. ... ct=8327164

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Way to go, SwimJim! Be sure to bring the HPR to Fortune Pond next month... I'll be bringing mine... It's due to arrive any day so I'll have time to install and test it before then. Pretty exciting times for us double hose nuts! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Got mine in the mail today along with Herman's HPR/conshelf tool. Should be in the water this weekend. Just in time for Sea Life season.

I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:55 pm

I got a couple in today as well. The first one is going in my hard used Phoenix but I think the other one is going to cost me some money....I see a fully tricked out new Phoenix in my future...starting with a set of rechromed cans.

In case anyone needs one, I have 8 more HPR tools ready to go.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:35 am

Herman wrote: In case anyone needs one, I have 8 more HPR tools ready to go.
Something I have observed...I have been installing the HPR 2nd stages in customer regulators all week and I highly recommend using a tool like Herman's if you are going to to a lot fine tuning. Using a screwdriver with a tip that is too wide or fits improperly can spread open the slot in the seat stem. This will weaken the slot and you could break off one side or the other while adjusting.
Right tool for the right job :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:43 pm

This morning I dove the wreck of the JenniBell in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The wreck is actually almost due east of Menominee, Michigan. It is about 1.5 miles southwest of Chambers Island.

The JenniBell is 94 foot schooner that sank in 1881. It is fairly intact and sitting right side up.

The maximum depth was 105 feet, the water temperature was 39 F, and the visibility was easily 30 feet maybe more.

It was a great dive. :D

I am in Wisconsin for work. I was here about four weeks ago and across the street from my hotel there happens to be a dive shop: M&M Diving in Menominee, Michigan. I met the owner (Bob Berg) the last time I was here and we talked about DH regulators. He has a few that could be restored. So this time I brought my brand new Phoenix HPR (with new production parts) just to it to him.

A few days ago Bob invited me to go diving this Sunday, but I didn’t think I was going to be able since I planned to work the entire weekend. Well there were some last minute changes and I had the morning free.

The most interesting part is that I didn’t have any of my gear with me, with the exception of a brand new regulator that has not touched the water yet… I didn’t have a mask, fins, dry suit (did I mention water temperature 39F), dive computer or depth gauge… not even my dive watch (I mentioned this was a dive to 105 ft). Well, Bob set me up with all the gear I needed including a dry-suit with dry gloves and a BC vest with a cummerbund (I have never used one of those before).

Everything worked great. Even the BC worked well with my regulator.

This was actually my first dive with a production HPR. I have many dives with the prototypes, but I have not had an opportunity to dive the production one. It worked great.

Bob and the other two divers liked my new regulator with the yellow hoses and nice shiny case. I surely liked how it worked.

There is some decent diving around here… if I come back, I may actually bring my gear (not just a regulator). :roll:

This has not been a fun trip, but today was a very nice break.

BTW Bryan, I think you will be hearing from Bob fairly soon.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:35 am

Great reports! I have an unmodified DA-Aquamaster without a Phoenix that should hopefully be getting the HPR upgrade very soon.

Been in the process of moving all last week so all my dive gear is in 3 different places at moment but I hope to be able to install the new HPR in my DA Aquamaster this weekend and dive it on Saturday or Sunday.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Looks great Jim!! I was wondering. Have you ever dove Devils Lake in Baraboo?

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Hope we are combining threads and I'm not hijacking Swim Jim.

Got my HPR installed and dove it Saturday night. I was in 38-45 feet of water for 44 minutes. The reg breathed great. I think the word I'll use is "smooth". My buddy Herb drew a breath off of it after the dive and that how he described it. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling when a non-vintage guy says, " Wow, that's smooth."

I don't have any WOB numbers, but it definitely feels like it's breathing better and smooth is a good way to describe it. Overall we had a good night dive in low viz with the Pheonix HPR and VDH backplate.

My only word of caution for people about to install and HPR, is that I installed it using Luis's lever in the vertical position technique. I applied a tiny bit of torque to the levers and they bend fairly easy. It was an accident and they were put back to parallel with no trouble, but I'll be more careful during my next install.

Thanks you guys for a great product.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm

I am sorry if I wasn’t clear and I am sorry that happened.

Lifting the lever is just to lift the seat so that it is not scratched by the volcano orifice while turning the second stage into place. It was not intended to be used to rotate the second stage body.

Lift the lever, but grab the second stage body to rotate it.

I am glad you were able to fix the issue.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:49 pm

luis wrote:I am sorry if I wasn’t clear and I am sorry that happened.

Lifting the lever is just to lift the seat so that it is not scratched by the volcano orifice while turning the second stage into place. It was not intended to be used to rotate the second stage body.

Lift the lever, but grab the second stage body to rotate it.

I am glad you were able to fix the issue.

You were clear and your instructions are spot on, it was all on me. Give me a piece of shiny metal that twists and spins and has levers that go up and down and I can't help myself. Easy fix too.

Thanks again Luis

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”