bbain
Vintage Diver

Phoenix install question

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:13 pm

My Phoenix is set up such that the LP port that one would likely use for an octopus is fouled by the hookah port. Is there a possibility of loosening the Phoenix body and rotating it slightly so that the LP port clears the hookah port? I'm not usually one to take things apart, but if I'm going to install the HPR anyway, I thought I'd ask. Thanks it advance!

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Phoenix install question

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:39 pm

You could get some more nylon gaskets to adjust the clocking of the ports (or at least that's how I understood it...) I use 2 gaskets to get the clocking I like - which is all the accessory hoses below an imaginary horizontal line.

Nylon Gaskets in store link.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:40 pm

You can remove the Phoenix and replace the gasket with a different type. Bryan has nylon and Phenolic gaskets and they are different thickness. After you do that you may want to re-check the IP since it may have change a bit.

A different alternative is to use the hookah port. If you like that position for an LP hose, I would just use the hookah port as an LP outlet. It is very easy to do this, just install one of this:
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/index. ... ct=8417148

Replacing the hookah port with an LP adapter is very easy. Just unscrew the cap and screw on the adapter.

I always use a hookah LP adapter with my Phoenix because I often need the extra port for my dry-suit.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Wed May 16, 2012 9:04 pm

OK, so I lay out the new HPR and my Phoenix on the kitchen table to see if I can (a) install the new HPR and (b) figure out how to take Luis' advice and adjust the Phoenix so I have access to the LP port that's currently blocked by the hookah port. I get as far a taking the cans apart and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed walks in and has an absolute fit over my even attempting it -- "why would I even think about fooling with something that I know very little about upon which my life would depend?" Wife angry at my assumed stupidity -- not good.

I emailed Bryan to inquire about having him install the HPR and index the Phoenix, but it appears that email isn't working which is why I'm posting this - to placate her, I told her that I would send it off for a professional installation if possible. So, I'm asking . . . .

Sorry for the bandwidth . . . .

Bill

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Wed May 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Busted!

Sorry Bill, I feel for ya! ;)

(is she still looking over your shoulder?)

crimediver
Master Diver

Wed May 16, 2012 10:23 pm

It might be that my life insurance policy is pretty good but the old ball and chain would tell me to dive it even if I forgot to put all the parts back in

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed May 16, 2012 11:17 pm

I have put a few together and each body or nozzle can clock differently. As has been stated, you will have to use either a different type gasket, phenolic vs the nylon, or double up either. The nozzle assembly must be torqued into the body or it will leak. Changing the gasket stack will vary the port alignment clocking by as much as a quarter turn. There is a slight torque spread that is acceptable between not tight enough and too tight and that good'n'tight position which might vary the position perhaps as much as 1/8 turn. Thus far I have been able to get an alignment I am satisfied with but as Luis said, why not just use the hookah port? I use the hookah port regardless. It positions my LP hose for my "octopus" perfect or if I want it under my arm I use a modified HP 90, there are also LP 90 degree fittings. The IP will require adjustment afterwards.

Learning to do your own work on your double hose is not optional, I consider it mandatory. The cans need to be opened to rinse after diving, the IP needs to be adjusted from time to time, cool new parts need to be installed, duckbills need replacement. Good luck.

Nem

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed May 16, 2012 11:24 pm

I don't beleive sweet Ginger would do such a thing. :)
Bill if you are in no hurry, bring the parts to Bonaire and we can do it there. I will be bringing tools anyway.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu May 17, 2012 7:29 am

I can assemble it anyway you like but I tend to agree with Luis and James that using the hookah port is the best choice when available. Aligning the nozzle to best suit your needs is not rocket science, it just takes time, patience and some extra washers.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

bbain
Vintage Diver

Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Herman wrote:I don't beleive sweet Ginger would do such a thing. :)
Bill if you are in no hurry, bring the parts to Bonaire and we can do it there. I will be bringing tools anyway.
I like that idea -- there's nothing wrong with the Phoenix as it is, and the opportunity to have someone help who knows what they're doing should appease Ginny. :)

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”