Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Rocking Boat vis Phoenix

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:39 pm

You can never be too careful when securing your gear on a boat....This regulator took a header and is in for some $$$ repairs...I was not there myself but I bet this could have been avoided.

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Rocking Boat vis Phoenix

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Wow… I did design the Phoenix body to take quite a bit of abuse, but there is a limit. I did a bit of structural analysis using reasonable loads.

It looks like all the damage is on the yoke, but I am guessing that the valve mating surface of the Phoenix is also ruined. Is that correct?
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm letting it soak to remove saltwater corrosion I can see around it. I'll secure it in the soft vice jaws tomorrow and see if it comes off. Typically the Phoenix nozzles are tougher than the yoke so keep your fingers crossed.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:35 am

Ouch! Looks like an Apex I bounced off the tailgate of a truck on Bonaire..an expensive lesson but I always lay tanks down now.
Herman

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I think the drop off the tailgate, fall off tank rack on the boat, and all other 1st stage banging disasters is a right of passage for every diver.

I went out last weekend and dove the breakwater. I laid the tank, harness and Pheonix down so it couldn't fall. But as soon as we went out past the breakwater to pull shrimp pots we rolled in the swell and I pinched a hose. Pretty sure there was already a small hole there, but not totally certain. I need to figure out how to be nicer to my gear. Luckily my yellow hose beauty will be back up to par with just a new set of hoses.

Also chipped the paint on the Delhi Pheonix after I tossed it onto the swim step of the Sealife. Not damage, just a character scar. Suppose I could start using the ladder again.....
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”